3rd Armored Amphibious Battalion Peleliu and Okinawa

muddyboots

I was very pleased to add this tag to my collection. He entered service 11/11/1943 and was part of the 54th replacement battalion and in July of 1944 was made part of the 3rd Armored Amphibian Battalion who made the assault on Peleliu and suffered heavy losses as they were the first to hit the beach. i ordered the book Before the First Wave a history of the 3rd Armored Amphibian Battalion - Peleliu & Okinawa. The tag has quite a bit of wear and definitely has the been there done that look. I can't wait to order his file.

post-24366-0-38515400-1468546455.jpeg

There is another Leo F Ruttle listed from 28 to December of 29 but it looks like he died? My bad I read the wrong record on the muster roll .

ViewfinderGyrene

There is another Leo F Ruttle listed from 28 to December of 29 but it looks like he died? My bad I read the wrong record on the muster roll .

Glad you got it, but so you're saying it IS or is NOT the L. F. Ruttle in 3rd Armored AmphTracs?

~VFG

It is Ruttle in the 3rd Armored I was able to trace his service number but trying to find out if that is him in 1928? His age would have been correct for hat time. If it is him he was discharged for some sort of a conviction in December of 29. Would he been able to reenlist years later?

ViewfinderGyrene

It is Ruttle in the 3rd Armored I was able to trace his service number but trying to find out if that is him in 1928? His age would have been correct for hat time. If it is him he was discharged for some sort of a conviction in December of 29. Would he been able to reenlist years later?

Likely only his records will reveal what happened...

Likely only his records will reveal what happened...

Someone died at the same period and I believe it was a boating accident if I read the roll correctly. Maybe he was involved in the accident and paid the price for it .

After reading closer I don't believe he was involved in the drowning of the other Marine. I will just have to wait on his file.

Amazing tag, congratulations! I was among the watchers as well. I'm sure that thing went with him to Peleliu

I finally got my copy of "Before the First Wave" and I was lucky enough to get a book that was signed by the author Larry Woodard plus Leo Ruttle is mentioned through the perspective of his Platoon Sergeant Al Blaisdell. I took a few pictures of the pages that mention Ruttle.

post-24366-0-44908000-1468879920.jpeg

ViewfinderGyrene

I finally got my copy of "Before the First Wave"

Ha, if only I could find my copy!

Could you PM me whether or not PFC Walter Sutter is mentioned at all? Please PM whether he is or isn't, because there's another that I'd like to look up but don't want to interrupt the thread.

Thanks!

~VFG

It seems that Blaisdell recorded the actions of Baker-16 through out the invasion of White 1 and 2. The book has been a great source of information I am very pleased I got it. Here is a great picture of the first wave of LVT's heading to the beach

post-24366-0-16499000-1468887085.jpg

• 5 months later...