Pre WWII era US NAVY Ships Cook rate

cavcon

I am looking for a good photo of a pre WWII era navy rate for a ships cook that looks like the rate is cut in a shield shape. I have seen the shield looking shape in blue but not in white. Was there a whit shield shape design too? Also if anyone may have a spare blue shield shaped cooks rate I'd be interested in buying. Thanks,

This one dates into the 20's you won't find shield cut rates much later. White ones are rare, the blue cloth could be cut and sewn the white had to to be cut and folded under before sewing. A lot harder to do.

Like Top says, white ones cut in a shield are very rare as it is simply a lot of work. The blue would not fray around cut edges, so pretty simple. This one is very crudely done. The norm, was to fold them in half length wise then cut. That way both sides are the same. Looks like who ever did tjis one just started cutting.

The white crows would have to be cut allowing for a "fold over/hem" around the edge. This "hem" would have to be clipped on the curves for it to lay flat ( clipping allows the hem to spread or lay over and not bunch) really a lot of work. Then considering that most white uniforms were really only good for one season before they needed replacing, too much work.

Also, remember, the cutting if the rating badge into the shield shape was a "Fashion" of the time. I have owned documented WW1 blue jumpers that did not have the rate cut, just sewn on with the original straight edges.

• 3 months later...