Dog Tag - sailor of CVE-68 Kalinin Bay

PinkGoatsArmy

PinkGoatsArmy

Hi,

this is the last one in my small collection.

This single tag belong to a sailor that served on Carrier Escot USS Kalinin Bay (CVE-68) that take part to several actions in Pacific theatre and it was one of the valorous ships of Taffy 3 (Task Unit 77.4.3) that challenged in great mismatch the powerful japanese center force in Battle of Samar .

Kalinin Bay suffered 15 direct hits from large caliber shell from heavy cruiser and battlship and returned fire with her single 5 inch gun damaging a heavy cruiser and a destroyer.

In Battle of Samar was the first occasion were Japan empire used a unit of Kamikaze in ww2, 4 of them attack Kalinin Bay 2 was destroyed by AA fire the other 2 hit the ship.

The bravery and the sacrifice of this little unit against a apparently invincible enemy changed the fate of the battle of Philippines.

As part of Taffy 3 Kalinin Bay was awarded of Presidential Unit Citation and 5 battle star.

I find that this man was on board during that fateful event, if someone can find his rate and rank or other info i will be grateful.

thanks for your comment

post-154044-0-57069900-1468526320.jpg

PinkGoatsArmy

thanks bellasilva for your help, so now i konw that he vas a S1C, In fold3 i found that he was on board since the 30 May 1944. I found this info in fold3 free files on internet.

Great tag I was lucky enough to get one from the USS ST LO CVE-63 which was sunk by a kamikazie at the end of the attack. If it wasn't for the destroyers of taffy 3 it could have been a huge loss.

PinkGoatsArmy

Someone that has acces to fold3 can please confirm me what rank/rate was Maslin discharged? Thanks