M1 Bayonet Remanufactured Scabbards

avenger1212

avenger1212

Quick question I was hoping you guys might know the answer to. I know both the longer M1 bayonets and their scabbards were modified down for 10" bayonet specs for WW2. Did they tend to always pair modified bayonets and scabbards, or could a person find a modified scabbard with a new manufactured 10" bayonet (or vice versa) from a factory?

Thanks folks!

All the modifications were done by Beckwith / Victory Plastics as far as I can determine. They were boxed and put into the regular supply system as Scabbard, Bayonet, M7. As such they were issued out as needed, and there was no attempt to match shortened bayonets with shortened scabbards.

By late 1943 it was perfectly possible for any M1 bayonet to be in either scabbard.

• 3 weeks later...
avenger1212

Thanks bayonetman!

I've seen some scabbards with the throat painted green, and some marked "E-US" in the ordinance ball, some don't have a ball at all but rather say US-M7. Do these variances tell anything about the issue date time-frame?

The "E-US" scabbards came with Greek bayonets some of which were copies of the US M1 bayonet. They were imported by the CMP. The "US-M7" scabbards also came with the Greek bayonets some of which are marked with a Taiwan symbol.

Marv

• 1 month later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread. I've been looking over the bayonet man's site, but haven't found information on factory sharpening of M1 blades. Did they tend to slightly sharpen blades? I landed on the following bayonet online, but I didn't see any sharpening in photos. The lower edge is just slightly sharpened, and the point is sharpened on both top and bottom of the tip.

It looks like very cleanly done sharpening, which makes me wonder if it was actually produced like this? Other than this question, it's a very clean and great conditioned bayonet. I don't see a modification mark, so my belief is that this was produced as a long blade and modified by PAL in factory to meet the new specifications before it ever left.

post-158021-0-63068100-1473461095_thumb.jpg

post-158021-0-38398300-1473461127_thumb.jpgpost-158021-0-96758800-1473461150_thumb.jpg

post-158021-0-72547100-1473461108_thumb.jpg