Vietnam MACV-SOG Grouping

IKEsaysGO44

IKEsaysGO44

I have come to know my neighbor's father very well over the past few months. We share an avid curiosity for militaria, weapons, knives, and a military career in the US Army Special Forces. I know very little about his career as a Special Forces 18B, but know it was extensive enough that he does not wish to have his name publicized. So you will see he has removed his name tape on the uniform below, as well as others he will part with.

Below are the items I have received so far in trade - I do have a 1918 dated Colt M1911 he carried and brought back. I will soon receive either his Randall or Gerber MK II, his original Green Beret, and a brass/ subdued SF Crest DI (he called a Harp) that he said was issued to him "for use in the bush." His memory for everything is still crystal clear, and his stories are remarkably terrifying.

He survived six tours in Vietnam and the surrounding countries as a Special Forces, MACV-SOG, 18B, Staff Sergeant and Sergeant First Class. I caught a glimpse of his Ribbon Rack, and it was impressive: DSC, Silver Star with 2 OLC, Bronze Star with V with 2 OLC, Purple Heart with multiple OLC (I never could tell how many..)

Anyway - he they are. His Tiger Stripes Jacket, Trousers, and Boonie Hat. I asked if he wore these on OPs, and he said of course. They were tough for them to get their hands on in the early days because he said the REMFs would take them all and not leave any for the SF guys.

The Black Jungle Jacket was from his time with the 46th Special Forces Company in Thailand. He was a Ranger Instructor on a Joint Airforce Navy Base in Thailand for 3 months, and this was the jacket and Black Beret he wore with the 46th. My mother in-law is Thai, and translated the lower right pocket badge as Thailand Air Force. The lower left badge was the name of the base (to his recollection). The foreign Thai Badges are the Thai Parachutist Wings and the Thai Ranger Badge (his recollection). He subdued his name tape, US Army name tape, CIB, and Jump Wings black. The SF and Ranger Tab patches are OD.

I am a novice with Vietnam Militaria and look forward to the experts comments on these items. I hope to post more items soon!

Thanks,
Andrew

post-141357-0-22105700-1468382165.jpg

IKEsaysGO44

46th Special Forces Company Black Beret with 46th Flash and Ranger Tab.

Unfortunately, the beret along with his original Green Beret were poorly stored in their attic after the war, and rodents got to the backs of both.

post-141357-0-68303700-1468382754.jpg

post-141357-0-56775600-1468382765.jpg

manayunkman

That's some awesome stuff.

Far out and groovy man.

That patched up black jungle jacket is out-a-sight.

IKEsaysGO44

That's some awesome stuff.

Far out and groovy man.

That patched up black jungle jacket is out-a-sight.

Thank you. He is a remarkable person who survived the unthinkable.

IKEsaysGO44

Sorry for the poor quality photos. My backdrop and lights are packed away for our move so I snapped these with my cell phone.

Very cool Andrew! That blacked out jacket is awesome! There'll be some VN and camo collectors here who will be salivating over these great pieces!

Thanks for sharing!

Rick

IKEsaysGO44

Very cool Andrew! That blacked out jacket is awesome! There'll be some VN and camo collectors here who will be salivating over these great pieces!

Thanks for sharing!

Rick

Thanks, Rick.

I'm looking forward to their comments and finding out a little more.

Andrew

MilitaryPicker1941

Do you see any labels (or ghosts of labels) on the tiger stripes? They look like TSP (tiger stripe products) tigers which would make them post-war (80's)

vintageproductions

The dyed black 46th group shirt is cool.

But like said earlier, the tiger stripes are from the 80's. He probably picked them up later just to have a set.

IKEsaysGO44

The Jacket is stamped'US M'just below the collar, and I could not find a label in the trousers.

Nothing on the boonie either. Cut draw strings and initials that are not his.

vintageproductions

The Thai patches on the pocket, the panther is for Thai volunteer forces and the other is for one of the training schools.

vintageproductions

The biggest set-off on the trousers are the waist draw tabs, you will not see those on war time pieces.

IKEsaysGO44

I did find a TSP Label in the trousers after I wrote the post. The pockets were a dull grey and there is a TSP Label sewn on the underside I did not see.

He did say he did a lot with SF Association and Veteran's Day Parades - I would put money he wore these then.

Thanks for the heads up and information. What about the Jacket and Boonie then?

vintageproductions

Jacket and boonie are also remakes. I would agree that he probably had these for parades.

IKEsaysGO44

The Thai patches on the pocket, the panther is for Thai volunteer forces and the other is for one of the training schools.

Awesome information. My mom said the Panther Patch read 'Thailand Air Force' - I guess this might make sense since he was on a Joint Base..?

IKEsaysGO44

Jacket and boonie are also remakes. I would agree that he probably had these for parades.

Awesome. Thanks!