Tank Museum

SKIPH

Went up to the "Tank Museum" today outside of Danville VA. Very impressive, and huge. Saw a lot of odds, and ends for sale there. Even found an army cap from early 70s, that had the name of the original owner. The owner by the strangest coincidence had been a friend of mine in 7th Special Forces Group. That was wild! Anyway, it is a great place to visit! Glad I went! Good times, with good friends! SKIP

Skip, I went this past Fall for the first time and was thoroughly impressed. Tons to look at even before you get out to the main floor to see the armored vehicles. I'd highly recommend it to everyone!

I did not know it was still open. I drove up there a few years ago and was impressed with how much they had. They even pulled a tank out for a demo and car crushing that day.

• 1 year later...

Skip, is that the same tank museum that used to be at the Aberdeen MD proving grounds? I blundered into it years ago on my way back to NY from VA. Was a FABULOUS experience to stand infront of a King Tiger and imagine it come crashing thru the Ardennes at you in WWII.

I live much closer to it now (PA) and have been contemplating a day trip there but I've been told the Tank Museum is closed - one person told me they were dispersed, another told me they were put in indoor storage due to deterioration.

Art

Skip, is that the same tank museum that used to be at the Aberdeen MD proving grounds? I blundered into it years ago on my way back to NY from VA. Was a FABULOUS experience to stand infront of a King Tiger and imagine it come crashing thru the Ardennes at you in WWII.

I live much closer to it now (PA) and have been contemplating a day trip there but I've been told the Tank Museum is closed - one person told me they were dispersed, another told me they were put in indoor storage due to deterioration.

Art

The museum in Danville is apparently still open. Their website has upcoming events listed. But better check their hours before driving down as it appears they only open a couple days a week.

The "Tank Museum" at Aberdeen Proving Grounds was the US Army Ordnance Museum. It has closed due to the last Base Realignment action and been moved (sort of) to Ft. Lee, VA along with the Army Ordnance School. The Danville tank museum is privately owned I believe.