Poplin & Ripstop, What's The Difference?

Bugme

Since uniforms are not my strong area of collecting, let me ask what is probably an elementary question. What is the difference between Poplin and Ripstop fabric as used in Vietnam era clothing? Also, is it easy to see the difference?

Salvage Sailor

My uneducated reply......

Ripstop is fairly easy to discern, as you can see the cross-hatched reinforcement pattern (think grid or graph paper) squares in the fabric.

Poplin is usually a heavier durable fabric, and probably has to do with the material content (silk, cotton, nylon etc). I'm sure someone can 'google' a better description of poplin.

Ripstop is fairly easy to discern, as you can see the cross-hatched reinforcement pattern (think grid or graph paper) squares in the fabric.

Poplin is usually a heavier durable fabric, and probably has to do with the material content (silk, cotton, nylon etc). I'm sure someone can 'google' a better description of poplin.

Wikipedia has articles on both, but even after reading the one on poplin, I'm still confused. It seems that poplin (which can be made from different materials including cotton, wool, silk and rayon) is a weaving technique hat produces a durable fabric which resists wrinkling and is easy to iron.

Ripstop is a weaving technique that adds reinforcement against tearing and ripping, keeping small tears from spreading. Wikipedia says "While many people assume ripstop fabric is made of nylon, this is only partially true. Ripstop fabric is made by weaving nylon threads throughout a base material in interlocking patterns."

and:

Ripstop fabrics are often applied for use in yachts for sails and spinnakers, hot air balloons, kites, parachutes, camping equipment such as lightweight tents and sleeping bags, flags, banners, and many other applications which require a strong lightweight fabric. Ripstop reinforcement can also be incorporated into heavier fabrics which require extreme durability, such as those used in the manufacture of Battle Dress Uniform’s, Nomex protective clothing for firefighters and other workwear, outdoor and sports clothing, backpacks, luggage bags, etc. Self-adhesive ripstop cloth is offered to repair rips and tears in other fabrics.

Ejector seat parachutes made with ripstop are woven with elastic like fabric so that they stretch to allow more air to pass through them at high speed, then as they slow up the weave closes and acts like a normal parachute. This allows the seat with the pilot in to slow down gently; otherwise the compression caused could result in injuries to the spine.

Yeah, I found those too and was completely confused by the definition. That's why I dropped the question here. Thank God I'm not the only one who couldn't figure it out.

craig_pickrall

The best closeups I have available of the two materials are actually Boonie hats but the material is the same for uniforms.

Poplin is smooth:

post-5-1221626782.jpg

Ripstop has the reinforcement on about a 1/4" grid and it is very noticable to the eye and also touch:

post-5-1221626796.jpg

Shooting from the hip at 11:41 pm on a work night....

I'd have to say I think of poplin as a light weight cotton. You will actually find it used in commercially made men's shirts. While it is great for civilian wear, it does not fare too well in field conditions.

Some of the problems they ran into in Vietnam was that when it got wet, it had a tendency to tear due to over stressing. Same problem if it got caught on a thorn or a branch. With the pockets sewn into the jungle fatigues, and then with the pockets loaded with typical GI junk, the jackets would tend to rip around the seams of the pocket. And because of the light weight of the fabric, rips and tears could end up going the full length of the garment, making it useless.

I believe as far as fabric weight, ripstop is slightly heavier, if for the nylon threads if nothing else. You can see the pattern quite clearly, about a quarter inch in each length. It was named rip stop literally because the nylon threads reduced the tendency of the material to rip. Even if it does catch, the rips and tears tend to be less severe. It's really a neat concept, and while the military cloth is still based on cotton, you have seen the technique expanded to nylon products such as parachute cloth and lawn furniture.

Oddly, despite the improved wear, ripstop was not immediately popular as many troops percieve it to be hotter. Many soldiers on second tours preferred to wear their cotton poplin uniforms, at least in rear areas as they felt more light weight.

Thanks guys, I've been asked this before when I've had 'nam gear for sale and I really was not able to answer them. Craig had it not been for your pictures, I still would not know the difference. I guess it's a "you got to see it" thing. :blink:

Rip-stop is more than just a name....caught a nail with a sleeve once while walking and it only left a loose hole. I'm amazed it didn't rip wide open. Tough fabric!

I'll try to keep this simple... :)

In its most basic definition, "poplin" refers to the type of weight and weave of the the threads and can be made from cotton, rayon, poly, etc. or combinations thereof. It consists of a plain, or "tabby", weave which means the threads are woven 90 degrees(perpendicular) to each other and each thread goes over, then under a single thread/fiber.

"Rip-stop" poplin is the above, only that a heavier nylon thread is woven in after so many of the regular threads which reinforces the fabric without making it entirely out of nylon. Ripstop fabric has the tell-tale lines which are visible every so many millimeters. This is because that particular fiber is heavier weight than the others.

For comparison, twills are a type of fabric where the fibers/threads are woven over one or more, then two or more fibers, creating an offset pattern. Denim, gabardine, herringbone [twill], drill, and chino are all types of twill.

Sateen is generally cotton or rayon woven in yet another way (four over, one under) .

The following pic gives a quick visual comparison of how these fabrics differ. The fabric in all the samples shown is 100% cotton (ripstop being a minor exception).

Jeff

post-1759-1221676916.jpg

Thanks for the info Jeff. I know you tried to make it simple in your definition but in all sincerity, if it had not been for your pictures, I probably still wouldn't have understood it. But, after looking at the picture and then reading your definition, it then makes sense. However, I'm not sure that I'm even making sense now? :wacko:

Believe me, fabrics get a heck-of-alot more complicated...I was trying to really boil down the definitions and descriptions. Craig's photos pretty much answer your question. I added the rest because there is often much confusion about the common fabrics used in uniform construction. You're in no way alone. thumbsup.gif

Believe me, fabrics get a heck-of-alot more complicated...I was trying to really boil down the definitions and descriptions. Craig's photos pretty much answer your question. I added the rest because there is often much confusion about the common fabrics used in uniform construction. You're in no way alone. thumbsup.gif

Actually a very good explanation! And visual aids as well! Thanks for posting.