Original Vietnam 1st Cav award ceremony. Recognize anyone?

mmerc20

I have these two original photos of some unknown soldiers being awarded the Vietnam Cross of Gallantry. I was curious if anyone either recognizes any awardees or the 2-star. They are all 1st Cav. Some are pilots, some have ranger tabs and the one major pilot is wearing a 2nd ARVN AF patch. The photos are glued to a scrapbook page but appear to be unmarked on the backs.

Mike

post-1506-0-36730800-1468106738.jpeg

post-1506-0-02693100-1468106753.jpg

The 2 guys in the black baseball caps and ERDLs are part of the 11th Pathfinder Co. Pathfinders wore black baseball caps long before the infamous "Blackhats" of the Airborne school .

Hi,

The General seems to be MajGen James F Hollingsworth III CTZ Major Advisor from January to september 1972 that is in accordance with uniforms worn. He previously served in Vietnam with 1st ID and is wearing the division patch on the right sleeve.

Best

Croc

Great photo of the Pathfinders and the "Treadhead" to their left.

The wearing of the pin on Pathfinder badge on the side of the hat is very unique.

And the Armor Capt. next to them appears to be wearing a modified Fedora to look like a Stetson

Hello nice photo's. Can a Mod turn those pictures up top around....I'm breaking my neck! LOL

Done.

I would agree that looks like General Hollingsworth. Note the III Corps insignia on his right pocket. Also the distinctive sidearm.

Hollingsworth Staff TRAC small.jpg

That's strange. The pictures showed right side up for me. Sorry that was not the same for everyone! These photos were in a large binder full of VN era photos and documents I acquired a few years back. There were many originals and also some reprints as well. I'm happy these were some of the originals.

The wearing of the pin on Pathfinder badge on the side of the hat is very unique.

And the Armor Capt. next to them appears to be wearing a modified Fedora to look like a Stetson

The Pathfinder torch by regulation is not authorized for wear on the cap, however that doesn't mean the Pathfinders didn't wear them there. Remember, until the late sixties the torch was sewn on. Since this is an official awards ceremony with a big-wig general, they probably had to wear their wings and background on their caps (with the torch on the side).

Pathfinder instructors at Ft. Benning have always worn the pin-on torch on their caps since it was authorized.

The Pathfinder on the right appears to be a John Hester who was a Pathfinder Instructor at Benning in 1978. He's younger and thinner in your picture. If I can find my Pathfinder Cadre photo for 1978 I'll post it here.

Isnt he a pilot?

Looks like he is wearing the two piece nomex flight suit and aviators wings too

Isnt he a pilot?

Looks like he is wearing the two piece nomex flight suit and aviators wings too

Yes, he must be an Air Cavalry pilot. Armor was supposed to be the BOS for "Real Cav" or Air Cavalry pilots but this is not the rule. Pilots came from all the branches of the Army.

The Pathfinder on the right appears to be a John Hester who was a Pathfinder Instructor at Benning in 1978. He's younger and thinner in your picture. If I can find my Pathfinder Cadre photo for 1978 I'll post it here.

Sorry, not the same guy. The Pathfinder in your picture has blue eyes.... Hester had brown eyes.

• 3 years later...