WWII Navy Lid - What do you think of it?

Catfishcraig

Catfishcraig

I picked this up as a BIN on eBay. I've never seen a navy lid like this one. Please share your thoughts and oppinions.

Thanks

Craig

post-12393-0-80420600-1468013533.jpeg

Catfishcraig

That's is pretty neat. You got a great deal on it too!

Thanks, I've had a good run on helmets lately. I picked up a near mint McCord as a BIN and the 29th I picked up and sold. But as runs do they stop at three ?

Craig

GeneralCheese

I wonder if the liner is painted up the same way. I have to say the markings looks original to me, and considering where/how you got it, that makes it even more legitimate in my eyes.

I think it's a good USN lid with fake painting from the pics...

the USN never did use a "follow me stripe" to my knowledge.

Catfishcraig

I wonder if the liner is painted up the same way. I have to say the markings looks original to me, and considering where/how you got it, that makes it even more legitimate in my eyes.

About the liner I've been wondering the same thing and will share what I find when I have it in hand. I'm sure I bought a helmet from the same seller before and it turned out to be a very nice lid.

Craig

ParanormalTrooper

Looks like an awesome USN lid!

I love the red follow me stripe, its so odd and unique!

Hopefully there is a name on it somewhear!

jkash23686

I think it's a good USN lid with fake painting from the pics...

the USN never did use a "follow me stripe" to my knowledge.

Theres another one posted on here with almost the same exact markings in worse shape. Red Follow me and Red USN thats 110% legit. So it was done. I believe it was in an old pinned collection which was unpinned and I cant find. But If I do ill post the link.

Here's a Navy helmet in Normandy with a vertical white stripe on the rear. Not a match, but sometimes atypical markings show up. It would be great to find out the story behind the markings on Catfishcraig's helmet.

post-2064-0-93518500-1468020340.jpg

Tom

Catfishcraig

I like it a lot.

You cant buy a plain Jane fixed bail for $75.

That was a steal! ;)

So it was actually $75 OBO. I did not haggle ?

stealthytyler

Here is a photo of my grandfathers naval beach battalion LT during Operation Dragoon. Notice the LT bar on his NAVY lid.

post-131595-0-93586300-1468038295.jpg

Catfishcraig

Here is a photo of my grandfathers naval beach battalion LT during Operation Dragoon. Notice the LT bar on his NAVY lid.

Great picture! Thank you for sharing it

Theres another one posted on here with almost the same exact markings in worse shape. Red Follow me and Red USN thats 110% legit. So it was done. I believe it was in an old pinned collection which was unpinned and I cant find. But If I do ill post the link.

What makes the helmet linked 110% legit?

not saying it's not.. but who is to say?

never said they didn't paint rank on the front but that thing looks fresh as yesterday to me.

look at the rest of the helmet?

-Brian

I like the helmet in the link and the one in this post. I did notice that the one in the link states that the USN was painted black and the painted over in red, which gives it an orange appearance to me. I don't see any evidence in this new one of any overpaint (from the pics) so I'm wondering why the orange look? If it is orange what did orange signify or maybe it's just the pic or my eyes and its red.