WWII veteran LOUIS READ uniform, medals stolen

wcdino685

WFAA-

FORT WORTH -- June 29, 2016

The family of a well-known World War II veteran who survived more than three years in a Japanese prison camp is stunned that his decorated uniform was stolen on Tuesday morning.

Phyllis Wood says the 31st Infantry Regiment uniform and some medals belonging to her father, Louis Read, were stolen out of a family storage unit.

Read passed away in 2011.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/family-of-famous-ww-ii-veteran-says-uniform-medals-stolen/258523147

Figured I would share this here, sad people would do this.

Unreal... no more respect left anymore

Sadly it'll surely broken up for resale it more easily.... So keep a eye open on Craigslist or eBay, maybe popped up when the "affair" calm down in a few months

In my opinion, what is sad also, is that the family had it in a storage unit!

In my opinion, what is sad also, is that the family had it in a storage unit!

Thats what i though to. Its realy sad that they didn't have it at home.

It was at home.. being stored in a building in their backyard.

The building was broken into.

A sad story indeed.. obviously someone knew it was exactly there and what it was.

There can only be so many people who fit this bill IMO.

-Brian

Very sad. Hope the family gets the heirlooms back. Id be surprised if they did lie low for a while. I'm sure it won't take long before it pops up online or at a local pawn shop. Whoever took it (probably a family member or close friend as Brian suggested) knew where to look and is probably in dire need of cash quick.

Yeah...not that I'm in law enforcement or anything, but someone breaks down the back fence using a crowbar, leaves the crowbar on the ground, breaks the lock on the shed, takes only his uniform with miniature medals on it and then takes off? Sounds to me that they should start asking their family and friends who took it. Sad, but it happens...

Yeah...not that I'm in law enforcement or anything, but someone breaks down the back fence using a crowbar, leaves the crowbar on the ground, breaks the lock on the shed, takes only his uniform with miniature medals on it and then takes off? Sounds to me that they should start asking their family and friends who took it. Sad, but it happens...

I would agree, it wouldn't be as obvious if it was inside the house and visible. They actually knew what they were looking for. I wonder if it was a estate feud with a family member. Only other motive I could see out of this is someone who knew they kept it in a shed in the backyard and saw that as a disgrace to the family. I just don't see someone outside the family taking only medals to sell them when I am sure you could find more valuable things.