Is the white paint on WWII liner for winter use or something else?

Jennings Lane

Jennings Lane

Is the white paint on this WWII liner for winter use or something else?

I've heard that some liners were painted white for winter use. Others could be for the MP's. And, someone could have just painted a liner for their own purpose. Any thoughts? thanks.

post-154922-0-72093200-1467074793.jpg

post-154922-0-78525500-1467074811.jpg

Without any real history on the liner its really hard to say why and when it was painted. Like you said it could be anything from MP to Navy use to any number of reasons. One thing to note most (but not all) helmets camo painted for winter use were white washed which will look totally different than a painted lid.

Most likely a parade helmet for American Legion or VFW. Some had decals on tbe fro t.Some didnt.I have o e from our old legion color guard white paint and no decal.

TheGrayGhost

Is this liner textured as well? The paint also appears to glossy, which to me makes it more likely to be ceremonial than tactical.

Is the white paint on this WWII liner for winter use or something else?

I've heard that some liners were painted white for winter use. Others could be for the MP's. And, someone could have just painted a liner for their own purpose. Any thoughts? thanks.

If I'm running around in combat and need winter camo, I'm painting or covering the shell, not the liner as the shell protects.

This likely done for some other reason

Parades

Guard mounts

Cadremen

A ton of these were painted at schools, police departments and many other organizations aside from being M.P. and parade liners. I've yet to see a whitewashed helmet proven to be used for winter camouflage purposes. Especially when white cloth was used extensively.

Urik,

I have one whitewash helmet in my collection right now, and another j am working out a deal with.

The one my shelf right now I am 110% positive it was meant for snow camo. It was even found in the Ardennes region.

If you want photos let me know.

Dave