SAR Aircrewman Wings?

stratasfan

Just got some records about my Grampa's Coast Guard service (he was in the CG from 1947 - 1968 ), and was looking through for the mentions of what badges he was awarded. One mentions that he was awarded the SAR Aircrewman wings. I've tried looking SAR wings up, but nothing comes up. What is a CG SAR wing? Thanks!

northcoastaero

SAR could stand for Search And Rescue. I have heard of USCG rescue swimmer wings/badge, but they may be from a later time frame.

CG Pilots use the same type wing as Navy/Marine wings since they usually are trained through the Navy so I believe they use the same aircrew wing as Navy and Marine crew members. Currently gold wings with center disc with anchor and letters AC,.

MastersMate

On another website, an old CG pilot, ex aircrew, gave some information concerning SAR Aircrew. They were the standard USN air crew wings that were established about 1958 or so.. The date of his award would be very helpful in tracing down a start date. A couple of articles from the old CG Reservist magazine seem to indicate the presentations started in the early 1960s.. He seemed to indicate a hazy recollection of 1960 or so..

Oh, great! I'll get the paper and take a picture of it in the morning. It will have more info and dates that might help you. It is on a separation form. I got a bunch, as he served five enlistments or something like that. Thanks for all the help and I'll post the paper in the morning!

The rescue Swimmers wings came in to existence around 2003 or 2004, the Coast Guard Air crewman's wings are the same as the Navy and still worn today. I was awarded both, but only wore my Swimmer wings. Prior to the introduction of the Rescue Swimmers wings, all enlisted air crew wore the standard A/C wings. I believe "SAR" wings is a reference to Air crew wings.

To really confuse things, some Rescue swimmers were also qualified in other positions on different aircraft such as flight mechanic, C-130 drop master, etc. So, they were qualified to wear both the Swimmer wings and A/C wings, while those awarded the A/C wings strictly for the Rescue Swimmer qualification could now only wear their swimmer wings. Even so, I still found plenty of people wearing both when they were only qualified to wear one and vice-versa. If that makes any sense?

Hi, all! Thanks for all the thoughts! Here is the separation paper I got in the mail. Hope something on this helps. It looks like it would be for the 1960-63 period? He wrote out his promotion history, so I'll post that in another reply. Maybe that will help, too.

post-151812-0-00866600-1467117064.jpg

Here is his promotion history:

post-151812-0-63251700-1467117165.jpg

I know he went on a few weather patrols. Once they rescued a German seaman who had fallen overboard and spent 16 hours in the sea without a life jacket.

So it appears your dad was a hospital corpsman that served on SAR aircraft at the Air station in Elizabeth City, NC, not the greatest place(I did 5 years there). Corpsman still fly on Coast Guard Helos and C-130s. I believe he would have worn the standard air crew wings.

Thanks so much! I appreciate all the help! I've got a list he wrote out of every station where he served and for how long. I'll take pics of those and see about figuring out ratings, etc. Again, thanks so much of rhelping out with the wings! That is cool to find out!

One quick question . . . why would he have had air crew wings? In case he had to fly out as part of a medic squad? I know he served on a dentist crew for years in the CG. He would later go into hospital business administration.

Corpsman are allowed to earn an air crew rating if the unit needs them. Apparently they needed corpsman to fly when your dad was there. Its handy having a medic when you pick up someone that has been injured.

MastersMate

A little bit more concerning the Coast Guard usage of the USN Air Crew insignia (SAR Aircrew).

The USN authorized the metal (gold tone) AC Wings in 1958. They could only be worn by those assigned to an actual flying aircrew status. If they were assigned at an aviation activity or other duty station in a non flying status, they would wear a sew on aircrew distinguishing mark on the sleeve.. In 1965 after a lot of hand wringing between submariners and aircrewmen, the USN authorized the metal AC wings to be worn at all times, regardless of duty assignment) for those that met the qualifications for Aircrew.

Until 1976, Coast Guard uniform regulations were the same as the USN uniform regulations. One would have to locate ( good luck ) any Coast Guard specific addendumd to the USN regs for the period from 1958 to 1966 for the CG specific requirements, if any..

I am a corpsman in the Coast Guard (Now a CWO2). Health Services Technicians (what pharmacists mates are called now) that qualify for aircrew status still wear the Navy style "AC" wings. Do you still have your grandfather's Good Conduct Medal? Are you working on a display for him?

stratasfan

I am a corpsman in the Coast Guard (Now a CWO2). Health Services Technicians (what pharmacists mates are called now) that qualify for aircrew status still wear the Navy style "AC" wings. Do you still have your grandfather's Good Conduct Medal? Are you working on a display for him?

Hi! No, I don't have his good conduct medal. He (sadly) got rid of all his military stuff after he retired and he regretted that until his dying day! He was always lamenting the fact. I am wanting to do a display, and will just start buying replacements for it. One other separation paper I got says he got two bars for a GC medal. However, I have never looked into GC medals . . . does a bar mean he got it another time?

He did write out a promotion history for me before he passed away, and that is a super fun thing, as I can see each rating. Would like to get some rating patches or whatever, but I need to study up, as CG is new to me too! (So far Air Corps is what I've been working on!) Oh, does your rank CWO2 mean Chief Warrant Officer 2? That was what Grampa retired as. :)

Thanks for the info about the wings. I'll definitely have to get a pair of those for the display. Here is a picture of him, soon after he enlisted.

post-151812-0-19982400-1467898671.jpg

post-151812-0-64110400-1467898685.jpg

Hi,

Your grandfather had an interesting career. I too was a Senior Chief prior to promoting to Chief Warrant Officer. I am a CWO2 right now and am aspiring to promote to Lieutenant next summer. Hopefully, I have many additional years to contribute. I can send you an Air Crew badge and modern third pattern CG Good Conduct Medal with the appropriately placed bronze stars if you would like. For the sake of an accurate display, I recommend the purchase up an unnamed first pattern Good Conduct Medal for your display. They are on Ebay for reasonable prices(I think around 35 dollars). Please send me your mailing address via PM and I can get those to you.

The two bars were for subsequent awards (every three years then, I think). Unless he got into some trouble along the way, he would have continued to receive additional awards every three years until he became a CWO. Officers do not receive Good Conduct Medals. The bars were replaced by small bronze stars inserted through the ribbon during the 1950s, I think.

Paul

He should also have a National Defense Service Medal with one star (He served on active duty during both the Korean and Vietnam War periods of eligibility). Do you have access to his final DD214, when he retired as a CWO3? That would have all of his up to date awards listed.

Also, an enlisted member with a CG Commendation Medal back during that time (1958) is highly unusual and SPECIAL!!!! DO you have a copy of his award citation anywhere? All of those were hand signed by the Commandant back then.