82nd Airborne Grouping

ottodog8

Beautiful grouping! Well done and you should be proud of that one (even if it is from the other unit :) ). British wound bars are a neat touch when used as OS bars. I have a couple of 101st Ikes from the Veterans that did it the same way.

Congrats!

Jake Powers

The metal overseas bars I have seen on several uniforms.I have an 8th AF in my collection as well as a couple others with metal bars..It is my understanding that this use of the metal bars was borrowed/copied from the Brits.

RON

I believe these metal bars are actually British wound insignia. I have a couple uniforms with these as well. One is pictured below. Toe bottom picture shows the inside of the sleeve and how they were attached.

post-1107-1222001112.jpg

post-1107-1222001118.jpg

post-1107-1222001124.jpg

post-1107-1222001129.jpg

Fantastic grouping ottodog. thumbsup.gif Whats the story? How did you come to know this fine American Vet?

Met him working in the trades in the late 70's. Told me he was a paratrooper during the war. I asked him if he brought anything back, he said "yeah, a dose of the clap". He told me he had all this gear, but he would never show it to me, and it sounded too good to be true, so I figured he was full of BS. This went on for several years. One day he tossed me a small envelope, saying "tell me what this is". It was the bolt from the carbine (he kept it disassembled for safety's sake). He had just retired and was building his retirement home, so I traded some building materials for the carbine. I asked if his kids wanted the stuff, he said they told him to sell it and have fun with the money.

He's a great guy, full of interesting stories.

Thanks for the kind comments. I've been collecting since I was a kid in the late 60's, and this is one of the more impressive groupings I've come across.

Steve

Wasnt there any family intrested?

RON

Heh, well I am sure if one of those family members looks on Ebay some time and stumbles upon prices for WWII Airborne stuff, they will be kicking themselves. :) Almost always seems to be the case sadly. ermm.gif

- Jeff

Great group!! thumbsup.gif

Some eye candy

post-2430-1221449063.jpg

Both 1st Allied Airborne patches are wool. The overseas bars on the Ike are metal, never saw that before. There is a lot of other stuff, I have the rawhide laces for the jump boots and the parachute cord "dress" laces as well. The vet is still alive, a pretty cool guy. I got the carbine from him in the early 80's, it took over 20 years for him to part with the rest of the stuff. Used to drive me crazy. About once a year I'd call him and ask if he was ready to part with any of it, he'd laugh and say "not yet". Finally he relented. Some things he won't let go, his dog tags, diploma from jump school, some rigger made scarves made out of parachute silk with a fringe made of unraveled parachute cord. I sure can't complain though!

Steve

Brian Dentino

Okay, now that I have picked myself up off the floor....wiped the dust-bunnies from the corners of my drooling mouth I am finally ready to post here. First of all, let me tell you that what you have here in materials is probably one of the nicest of its kind around...the carbine makes it for me for sure. Secondly, please please please for the sake of history and this important piece of 82nd AB history make a recording/video of this vet explaining these items, his story (pre/during/post war), and have him sign a paper saying that what he is telling you is 100% the truth. This is not to offend, or add value to what you have (all though it would, even though the $$$ value is astronomical anyway), but this would offer you a chance to pass/keep this information accurate long after the vet is gone and you forget the details. This is history worthy of preserving, and the best way to do that is let the vet himself tell you what you have, how he got it, and what he did. Truly an amazing collection from one man, but please do yourself a favor and ask him if it would be okay to do this. Otherwise you may kick yourself later when you can't remember this or that about what he told you way back when.

A great grouping, and hope you don't mind me throwing my 2 cents in on the documentation aspect of this grouping because afterall the vet is the one that makes this stand out. Knowing these men is the real joy in our hobby....at least for me! thumbsup.gif

• 9 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You have an amazing grouping as everyone here has stated. I'm sorry to read of the loss of your friend though. You spoke of him with great reverence and respect. Thank you for sharing all of this.