1922 MOH Presentation Ceremony

Brig

Found a couple of images on eBay of President Coolidge decorating LtCmdr Walter Atlee Edwards with the MOH if 1922 for rescuing civilians on a distressed French ship. They're about 5 x 6...and have pencil marks on the rear which I assume is indicating where the original owner of these photos was standing (right, middle, etc). Seem sort of like official photos of the event, I'm assuming, though rather informal. Found a couple of other photos, different color scale, online, but not these actual shots. Anyone seen these images before? Anyone know who the Marine Aviator Aide is?

Probably won't keep these long, as I am not a Navy collector, but couldn't pass up the shots.

Other shots from the event are posted here...

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/OnlineLibrary/photos/pers-us/uspers-e/wa-edwds.htm

001.jpg

002.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have both of them, there are some alpha numeric pencil marks, which may have been pointing out the owner's position, or some other such...no writing unfortunately

• 8 months later...

I believe this is President Coolidge presenting MOH to Walter A. Edwards (USN). Compare him to this photo.

Title: USS Bainbridge (DD-246)

Description: Senior officers present during ceremonies commending the Ship's Company for their actions in rescuing 482 survivors from the burning French transport Vinh-Long. The rescue took place in the Sea of Marmora, Turkey, on 16 December 1922. This photograph was taken sometime after that date. Those present are (from left to right): Captain Charles M. Tozer, Commander Destroyer Squadron 14; Rear Admiral Andrew Theodore Long, Commander U.S. Naval Forces in Europe; and Lieutenant Commander Walter Atlee Edwards, ship's Commanding Officer. Photographed on Bainbridge's foredeck. Donation of Frank A. Downey, 1973. U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.
Catalog #: NH 78351

https://www.history.navy.mil/our-collections/photography/numerical-list-of-images/nhhc-series/nh-series/NH-78000/NH-78351.html

post-162414-0-27948700-1490928598_thumb.jpeg

post-162414-0-80706000-1490928719_thumb.jpeg

• 5 months later...