A new “3AD Museum Task Force Hogan"?

Hogan

13475112_154887468261215_453851687002202

My cousin ‘Jan Tazelaar’ lives in the Belgium Ardennes in the small town of Marcourt a few miles from Hotton, the town where MG Rose had his headquarters during the Battle of the Bulge. The exploits of 3AD in this region are still well known and well-remembered, and are -among others- symbolized by the brave actions of Task Force Hogan, which held the village of Marcouray for some days while being besieged by several German divisions.

Ever since Jan Tazelaar came to live there within walking distance of Hogan’s former Command post in Marcouray, we have been captivated by the actions of Lt Col Hogan and his 400 men.

For some time, we have been pondering the idea to "do" something with the house. Turning it into a small museum would be the ultimate tribute to the actions of Task Force Hogan, the Third Armored Division and all of his men. It is also excellently suited for lodging visitors, obviously with 3AD veterans and their relatives in mind. The place is not only interesting for ww2 enthusiasts but also offers a beautiful nature, possibilities for outdoor activities and a natural tranquility, which is perfect for all kinds of well-deserved vacations.

The house is empty and will soon be up for sale. This suddenly has put the plan into highest gear.

The idea of a 3AD commemorative and educational center at the heart of the former battlefield in Lt Col Hogan's original Command post is, in my opinion, a chance of a lifetime, and the very best way to do justice to the actions of 3AD in this region. We and a small group around us are willing to give it our best efforts.

We feel -and know-, however, in terms of finance and organization that we cannot do it alone, so we would like to appeal to all Third Armoured Division enthusiasts’ and veterans throughout the entire existence of the 3AD, to contribute in ideas, finances, contacts and or manpower to the ultimate tribute a division can get, namely his own museum.

We would appreciate it immensely if any member of this group, board or forum would take up contact with us in order to bring us closer to establishing the new “Museum Task Force Hogan”, in tribute the Third Armored Division.

More info is on my FB page: https://www.facebook.com/folkertvanwijk/media_set?set=a.10207454248462080.1464045513&type=3

And the new 'Museum task Force Hogan' FB page: https://www.facebook.com/folkertvanwijk/media_set?set=a.10207454248462080.1464045513&type=3

We are now in very frequent and very cordial contact with the present owner of Lt Col Hogan's former CP. The house has been his family's property for generations. His grandmother was 20 when Lt Col Hogan seized the house and has lived there until her death a few years ago. She and her family have maintained friendly relations with several veterans of 3AD after the war. (Both Lt Col Hogan himself and his children have visited the place several times.) Her grandson, the owner, is an architect and is very sympathetic towards our ideas for a worthy future of the house. But unfortunately now lost contact with the Hogan family.

Now it;s up to us to make the idea of a museum in that very house a feasible reality. And we count on veterans, their relatives and everybody else who wishes to preserve this 'sacred ground' for posterity.

We would like to keep you all posted on any progress we hope to make in the near future. The coming few months will be crucial!

New promotional photo assembly for our museum. This is what it could look like in the future.

13584715_165262753890353_812349631123411

• 1 month later...

We now also have contact with Mary McPeak (Hogan) she is the daughter of Samuel M. Hogan.

A friendly and warm exchange of information and ideas have started:

She was pleasantly surprised with the interest and the plans for the museum and approved upon the use of the family name and the image of her father. She pointed us out to some interesting info and also promised to help us making contacts in the US and find the right people to assist in fulfilling our dreams of creating a small but interesting museum and commemorative centre for the 3rd armored division.

It was interesting to hear that Samuel M. Hogan always felt a warm spot for the people living in the Ardennes. Also she and her family still likes visiting Belgium and would do so again sometime in the future. Now would it be great if then, one day they could see the museum dedicated to the 3rd armored division and her father, and lodge in the apartment above it just like many other 3rd armored veterans and their family could do?

Then, would we be able to complete the circle, and succeed in getting the house that during the war belonged to the Belgium Galerin family, briefly has been confiscated by Lt. Colonel Hogan during the Battle of the bulge, afterwards reclaimed and up to now used by the same Galerin family, be turned into a commemorative centre and museum for the US army again?

One thing is clear we can’t do it alone and need some serious help, so please don’t hesitate to talk to other people about this awesome plan and let us know if you find someone that would like to assist us financially and/or organisationally.

Would even be better if she was able to open the museum.

We had the sister of one of the glidermen who was killed in a glider crash (17.09.1944) present to inaugurate the monument dedicated to these men back in 1994.

It made it all very impressive to say the least.

And she was honored being able to do this.

Just a thought.

Erwin

Yes sure Erwin, that would be even better.
If the time is there and it might be even slightly possible, we would definitely be aiming for that to be arranged.

• 5 months later...

Half of the Task Force Hogan team (me) is now taking an extra D tour via the 7th armored Division in order to meet the demands of the Dutch educational system in the middle of the Netherlands.
All this because I am currently working on a Dutch School Project, to visit school classes as a WW2 GI of the the 7th armored Division, telling the children about the second world war, the 7th Armored Division,
Operation Marked garden and the battle for Overloon.

I will use real and/or repro story's, books, documents, maps, photo's, posters, newsreels, music,and even chocolate in repro Hersey wrappings.

Therefor I am at the moment looking for personal stories about the battle or Overloon or events closely related. I have several books and documents like after action reports and the story of John Margeiter. But I would like to have some more personal material to draw a story from that inspires and intrigues the children. So I would like to ask, if any of you could help me find some personal story's about the 7th armored in Overloon. That would be great!

Sincerely Folkert