Some Old Marine Signed Photo I Found Today

vintageproductions

vintageproductions

I got a call to go help a local estate sale person price some military items for their sale they are having this weekend.

There was a lot of stuff, beat up web gear, tents, cots, etc.

The person who's house it was mentioned some framed military photos they had. So he drags them out and shows me all of them and gives me a brief history. The original owner of house was a WWI Army veteran who was wounded and came home and worked with wounded veterans throughout the 20's-30's. In WWII he joins the Marine Corps and does a lot of stateside work and helps the wounded. So he has all kinds of 8 x 10 signed / framed photos and I go through all of them quickly, not really paying close attention but I knew they were nice and it would be fun to research who everyone was. I made an offer, they accepted and I move them to the car. I get back to the shop and start unloading and when I got to this one, my chin hit the ground.......

bas1.JPG

bas2.JPG

I didn't even pay attention the first time I went through the stack.

vintageproductions

I'm sure it is some staged photo, but that helmet net made me think he was holding a Japanese helmet.

Now to just figure out how to hang this on the wall and convince the Mrs's it has been there forever.

I'm sure it is some staged photo, but that helmet net made me think he was holding a Japanese helmet.

Now to just figure out how to hang this on the wall and convince the Mrs's it has been there forever.

congratulations on that find!

and good luck with that!!! :)

A scarce signature indeed!

I'm sure he took dozens of photos that were staged for publicity during the Bond drive before finally getting back to the front. Probably taken on beach on base

I trained his great (great?) nephew on the rifle range down on PI when I was stationed there. If I recall, his MOS was to be a cook. Needless to say, young Basilone's hats were quite passive in their suggestion his contract be changed to infantry, and ensuring he understood the boots he had to fill

It looks like the signature says something like "John V. Basse" in the pics.

When would Basilone have been assigned to the 4th Marine Regt.? I also thought I remember seeing a while back that Basilone's middle initial was an "A". I believe I saw it in relation to an award that was given out. Now I'm curious about what is his actual middle name/initial.

John Francis Basilone

Memorial

Photos

Flowers

Edit

Birth: Nov. 4, 1916

Buffalo

Erie County

New York, USA

Death: Feb. 19, 1945

Iwo Jima

Tokyo Metropolis, Japan

World War II Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient. Known as "Manila John", he was one of the first Marines to be awarded the Medal of Honor during World War II. On Sunday night October 25th, 1942, at Lunga Ridge on Guadalcanal, about 1,000 yards south of Henderson Field, Japanese troops attacked. One of the Marine section leaders facing them was Sergeant Basilone. Basilone stayed with his men, repairing guns and changing barrels in almost total darkness, while giving encouragment to his men. One section of guns were overrun. Two men killed, three others wounded. Basilone took one of his guns on his back and raced for the breach in the line. Eight Japanese were surprised and killed. The guns were jammed by mud and water and a few yards away the Japanese were forming for another charge. Frantically stripping mud from the ammo belts men fed them into the guns as Basilone cleared jams and sprayed troops rushing at his positions with fixed bayonets and hand grenades. At 0300 a final Banzai charge took place. The full weight of the fanatical Japanese fell on Basilone and his men. He had set up a cross fire which smashed the charge. At least 38 dead Japanese were credited to Sergeant Basilone -- many killed with his Colt .45. Gunnery Sergeant John Basilone was killed leading his heavy machine gun squad off the beach on Iwo Jima on February 19th, 1945. He had just helped destroy an enemy blockhouse before he was hit by a mortar shell. He was the only Marine to be awarded both The Medal Of Honor and The Navy Cross during World War II. "Basilone Road" in Camp Pendleton, Oceanside, California was named after him as well as the "Sgt. John Basilone Memorial Bridge" on the New Jersey Turnpike in East Brunswick, New Jersey. His citation reads "For extraordinary heroism and conspicuous gallantry in action against enemy Japanese forces, above and beyond the call of duty, while serving with the 1st Battalion, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division in the Lunga Area. Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands, on 24 and 25 October 1942. While the enemy was hammering at the Marines' defensive positions, Sgt. Basilone, in charge of 2 sections of heavy machineguns, fought valiantly to check the savage and determined assault. In a fierce frontal attack with the Japanese blasting his guns with grenades and mortar fire, one of Sgt. Basilone's sections, with its guncrews, was put out of action, leaving only 2 men able to carry on. Moving an extra gun into position, he placed it in action, then, under continual fire, repaired another and personally manned it, gallantly holding his line until replacements arrived. A little later, with ammunition critically low and the supply lines cut off, Sgt. Basilone, at great risk of his life and in the face of continued enemy attack, battled his way through hostile lines with urgently needed shells for his gunners, thereby contributing in large measure to the virtual annihilation of a Japanese regiment. His great personal valor and courageous initiative were in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service". The United States Naval service launched the destroyer "USS Basilone" (DDE/DD-824), named in his honor, in December 1945. It served from 1945 until 1977, when it was stricken from the Naval lists with a total of 32 years in service. (bio by: Frank Russo)

Family links:

Parents:

Salvatore Basilone (1884 - 1965)

Theodora Benivenga Basilone (1889 - 1951)

Spouse:

Lena Mae Riggi Basilone (1913 - 1999)

Siblings:

Phyllis Basilone Cutter (1908 - 2004)*

Angelo Carlo Basilone (1910 - 2002)*

Carlo Edward Basilone (1915 - 2005)*

John Francis Basilone (1916 - 1945)

Alphonse F Basilone (1920 - 1998)*

George Anthony Basilone (1922 - 1990)*

*Calculated relationship

Note: originally buried on Iwo Jima and then exhumed and reburied at Arlington National Cemetery.

Burial:

Arlington National Cemetery

Arlington

Arlington County

Virginia, USA

Plot: Section 12, Grave 384, grid Y/Z 23.5

GPS (lat/lon): 38.88135, -77.0685

Maintained by: Find A Grave

Record added: Jan 28, 2001

Find A Grave Memorial# 19842

John Francis Basilone

Added by: Ron Moody

John Francis Basilone

Added by: Ron Williams

John Francis Basilone

vintageproductions

Looking at the signature it could be an F not a V, like he signed it quickly and didn't follow through with the extra line.

What was his unit while he was in the Philippines?

His middle initial is absent from the muster rolls

He was with 5th Marines, 7th Marines, and 27th Marines...no other John Basilones on the rolls

As a Sgt, he was with D/1/7

John Francis Basilone

Memorial

Photos

Flowers

Edit

Birth: Nov. 4, 1916

Buffalo

Erie County

New York, USA

Death: Feb. 19, 1945

Iwo Jima

Tokyo Metropolis, Japan

So which one do you believe, a Findagrave entry or the official "John A. Basilone" award given out to USMC personnel and a memorial bridge in his hometown that has a giant bronze plaque that says "John A. Basilone".

Someone has it wrong. Like I said, makes me wonder who has it right! LOL.

The fact that the last name doesn't look like it says "Basilone" and identifies him as being in the 4th Regt. are definitely some things that need looking into.

So which one do you believe, a Findagrave entry or the official "John A. Basilone" award given out to USMC personnel and memorial bridge in his hometown that has a giant bronze plaque that says "John A. Basilone".

The fact that the last name doesn't look like it says "Basilone" and identifies him as being in the 4th Regt. are definitely some things that need looking into.

I have no idea...just posting what they have listed...he has it listed.no middle...A or F.

I know my middle name... :)

vintageproductions

He sure looks like all the images of Basilone. The signature you can't read all of it as about half is under the frame.

So which one do you believe, a Findagrave entry or the official "John A. Basilone" award given out to USMC personnel and a memorial bridge in his hometown that has a giant bronze plaque that says "John A. Basilone".

LB

I have seen it both ways but never really confirmed it.Im thinking the home town would have it right ;)

Just wanted to see what others thought.

vintageproductions

Here are more of the framed pieces that came out of the sale.

colonel.jpg

gen.jpg

I love the trench art planes on the General's desk

nav.jpg

surgeon.jpg

Surgeon General

I agree, signature and image are very similar, but Eric presents a good case, too

Crack open the frame, see what's under the edge