New Caledonia *Dagger*

gunbarrel

New Caledonia knives have been discussed on the Forum a few times. I had two in my collection until recently: an unmarked 8" piece, and a 6½" knife marked "Noumea - New Caledonia."

Frank Trzaska wrote an article on these interesting knives in May 2012. In the article he mentions that he had never seen one made with the tip section of the antler, and neither had I.

A few days ago, even though the seller knew what it was, one such knife came up for sale at a very reasonable price "you-know-where." Of course, I bought it and I'm showing it on the pictures below. I'm also adding a couple of pictures of the New Caledonia Rusa deer, the "suppliers" of the antlers.

PS The blade on the dagger is 5½" and it also not marked. Not much room on the brass guard for handwriting!

post-70-0-16992800-1466386738.jpg

post-70-0-74876100-1466386753.jpg

The weathered deadhead on the last photo leads me to believe that the stag used on the knives was fresh material (maybe even treated), as it has lost most of its beauty.

Thank you, Sundance.

I forgot to mention that the sheath is original; not a replacement.

The strap with the fastener is made of what I think may be pig skin. The sheath for my large knife is completely made of exactly the same leather.

Frank Trzaska

Very Cool, thanks for posting it GB, always a first out there somewhere!

All the best

Frank Trzaska

• 2 weeks later...

What strikes me as a little odd is that an island as small as New Caledonia could support a deer population with individuals of that size. I had no idea before seeing that pic, but just assumed that they were much smaller. No natural predators I presume.

Anyway, nice piece - have always liked those.

Cliff