North Carolina Confederate

tarbridge

That is a cool piece Robert.

Does anyone have a feel for the rarity of Confederate portraits in general? It's a subject I know absolutely nothing about. How would they compare to Union portraits?

Eric, as you know...subject matter...if it's identified...etc...will.play on value. This one was given to me years ago.

Obvious question... have you looked on the back of the photo to see if there's anything written that would give a clue to who it is?

That is a cool piece Robert.

Does anyone have a feel for the rarity of Confederate portraits in general? It's a subject I know absolutely nothing about. How would they compare to Union portraits?

You can look at the value of Confederate Veteran images...they bring a tidy sum.

• 5 years later...

You say it came from an old house in Orange County?  Is the house still there?  Maybe check with land records in Chapel Hill at the County CH. Maybe this 1st Lt lived in that house?  Possibly Orange County might have a listing in units raised locally?  Possibly the Historical Society?  

Too bad there's no name on the photo.  But if home records and name match a name on a local unit.  Might get lucky. Historical society might have a photo of the unit?