Probably my best BIN: A "Bushmaster" Artilleryman - 147th FAB

Timberwolf

Hi all,

Was lucky enough to pick this up as a really, really good BIN on ebay. I can definitely say my hands were shaking as a clicked on this one as I was really afraid I was going to loose it! Got it from an estate picker, and luckily enough I was able to find the veterans obit online, I don't think he saw any action (obit stated he was in Japan at the end of the war) with the 147th but did occupation duty with them and the 97th Div.

Does anyone have much information on the 147th? I know they were a part of the 158th RCT but not much info on what the 147th actually did.

The patches are definitely the main focus, and are Japanese made silk examples. The patches on the ike and wool service shirt look like brand new, and I'm guessing he never wore or washed them! The khaki on the other hand was definitely worn, but is damage free.

post-19184-0-70609200-1465867786.jpg

His ike jacket

post-19184-0-83463600-1465867802.jpg

post-19184-0-05090800-1465867828.jpg

Finally a telegram notifying his mother of the lost of their son (this soldier's brother) He was lost at sea in October of 1945!

post-19184-0-51799500-1465868381.jpg

Hope you all enjoy!

Wow...

Thanks Robert, I know you get some pretty amazing stuff at your store so I definitely take that as a compliment.

The 147th FA (at least part of it) were the artillery element of the Bushmasters and were in Australia, New Guinea and the Philippines during the war.

I have a salty HBT uniform set that belonged to a Capt. Nelson of the battalion which was actually worn in combat, but it of course has no patches, which I dont have. The 147th was from S. Dakota originally.

The patches are the best thing in this group!

CB

CNY Militaria

I was so bummed when I missed that smokin' BIN. I am glad it went to you, and to see better shots of the patches than their blurry photos.

Yeah, the 147th FA Bn was a part of the 158th RCT, RCTs IE the 158th, the 442nd, or those formed on an ad hoc basis etc, being a small all arms organization back then included a Artillery Battalion, and an Engineer Company too.

http://www.ozatwar.com/usarmy/147fa.htm

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/147fa-bde.htm

Thanks for the compliments guys! I feel the best part of this group was the he was also a Hoosier, so can't beat the Indiana connection!

WoW!!!! Lucky dog. Great looking uniforms.

Thanks! Also ended up picking up his brother who was lost at sea's uniform. Figured I needed to keep it together.

firefighter

Thanks! Also ended up picking up his brother who was lost at sea's uniform. Figured I needed to keep it together.

Without a doubt.

Ended up being able to reunite the brother's uniform. Both Leslie and Leland's uniforms are together again!

post-19184-0-41127400-1466636883.jpg

CNY Militaria

A great group now elevated to a great family group! Good work on reuniting them. Justin

BigDogMilitaria

Really nice Ben. i didnt realize you were able to get the brothers as well, very good work getting that done.

A great group now elevated to a great family group! Good work on reuniting them. Justin

Really nice Ben. i didnt realize you were able to get the brothers as well, very good work getting that done.

Thanks Jason and Justin! I'm definitely happy I could keep a majority of the grouping together.