D-Day flag sells for how much!?!?

Thor996

manayunkman

There is an old thread about this flag.

The rumor is that Glenn Beck was the high bidder.

This article is in TODAY'S news- June 12th

DALLAS – The U.S. flag flown on the stern of the boat that led the first American troops onto Utah Beach on D-Day was sold on Sunday for $514,000 at auction in Texas.

Heritage Auctions spokesman Noah Fleisher says the 48-star flag from the guide boat was sold during a live auction in Dallas. Fleisher had no immediate information on the buyer.

"The pre-sale estimate for the flag was $100,000. The banner has one bullet hole, blamed on a German machine gun, according to the Dallas-based auction house.

Online bidding began about two weeks ago, according to Fleisher, ending Saturday night with a top bid of $125,000. Live bidding started Sunday at that level, he said.

"It opened at $125,000, so obviously spirited bidding brought it up to the price," Fleisher said.

D-Day marks June 6, 1944, the date during World War II when the Allies landed on the beaches of Normandy, France, beginning the liberation of Western Europe from the Nazis.

Heritage says the guide boat's skipper, Lt. Howard Vander Beek of Cedar Falls, Iowa, kept the flag up until his 2014 death. The seller acquired it last year when Vander Beek's family sold the historic item at an estate auction."

Screen Shot 2016-06-12 at 2.14.19 PM.png

as this sold today, June 12, 2016 and is a different flag: that would make this the 2nd D-Day flag that went for a NUTS price. :)

While i am not one to comment on prices, any flag that was involved in D Day is an incredible survivor and a piece of history. But $514,000 dollars is an insane price. Even if i was a billionaire i wouldn't pay that much for this. In the end it is just a flag with very little Provence, much rarer flags have went for less.

Amazing piece of WW2 history....Did the guy get sucked in by the fury of the bidding, or did he feel it justified the amount it sold for?.....Only time will tell as to whether or not the next owner pays more.....Must be nice to be able to blow a half a million dollars on a military item....Bodes

I bet the family had wished they had sold the flag at the HA auction instead of at a local estate auction.

Kurt

Wow, great piece of history. if your worth millions, or tens of millions, (which I'm guessing the buyer is) and want a D-day flag bad enough, it doesn't matter to them if they overpayed. I wonder what the family got for it though last year?

Wow, great piece of history. if your worth millions, or tens of millions, (which I'm guessing the buyer is) and want a D-day flag bad enough, it doesn't matter to them if they overpayed. I wonder what the family got for it though last year?

I dont know exactly but I'm guessing its in the 100s of dollars sadly!

I bet the family had wished they had sold the flag at the HA auction instead of at a local estate auction.

Kurt

I'd pretty much gah ron tee that.

stealthytyler

I would be sick to my stomach if I was the family that sold it to the guy that auctioned it. I bet he got it for almost nothing! Maybe the seller can throw a few grand back to the family? Maybe ever $10,000!?!?

While i am not one to comment on prices, any flag that was involved in D Day is an incredible survivor and a piece of history. But $514,000 dollars is an insane price. Even if i was a billionaire i wouldn't pay that much for this. In the end it is just a flag with very little Provence, much rarer flags have went for less.

M...if you were a Billionaire...that would only be like $2500...

Maybe 20 years ago there was a documented flag from a D Day LST on Manions Auctions. It went for $1200; I was the second highest bidder. Little did I know...

I understand that these flags are historic, but I still don't see $1/2 a Million worth of history. A flag from the Revolutionary War would have time and scarcity on it's side, as so would the Civil War. I bet more of these WWII flags are going to pop up out of the woodwork like crazy after this.

My Father-In-Law (Who is a Pearl Harbor Survivor) has a US Naval Ensign from the USS West Virginia that was aboard the ship on 12/7/41 (I cant prove it was flying though), and I have a photo and document from the 1960's showing it being presented to him by the Pearl Harbor Survivor who brought it home after the war. Some good PR work,and would that be $1/2 million bucks? I doubt it.

Kurt

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...