1917 trench knives

buzzbomb

Is someone able to tell/show me if the 1917 spike trench knives are easy to disassemble for shipping to New Zealand?

The knuckles are the customs risky part.

The top nut can be removed if it hasnt rusted in place.I used a pliars for spring clips that had a set of angled points.I also used a bit of penetrating oil and let it soak in a bit.It can be a little tricky getting the guard off the handle as the fit is quite snug.

Not familiar with the import laws down there but are you saying you can ship the items seprately and theres no problems?

Note too that the LF&C knives (the ones with pyramidal knobs versus "teeth") cannot be disassembled. The tang is peened onto the guard. Only the knives with a nut that holds the handle and tang together (as shown above; Disston, Oneida, & ACCO types) can come apart without destroying the knife.

Chris

Note too that the LF&C knives (the ones with pyramidal knobs versus "teeth") cannot be disassembled. The tang is peened onto the guard. Only the knives with a nut that holds the handle and tang together (as shown above; Disston, Oneida, & ACCO types) can come apart without destroying the knife.

Chris

THat is correct.Thanks for addng the additional information.

Wow great to know those makers.

If sent like the picture Doyler supplied I should be ok. Without the handle/wood it does not make a knuckle knife.

Knuckle knives are OK to own in NZ. But you are not allowed to carry it. You are not aloud to carry any knife without a dam good reason.

It's just a pain in the but to import these through customs

The permit to procure restricted items into NZ is a joke at the moment. Don't know what is going on but waiting for a permit to import an LF&C 1918 for 4 months.