American wearing SAS Camo Windbreaker

Eric Queen

Jack Hill wearing borrowed/stolen/gifted SAS camo windbreaker. Don't recall ever seeing a portrait of the windbreaker being worn before, let alone by an American. I like the weird ones.

Jack Hill0002 x.jpg

That is a very nice photograph. The garment in question in not strickly SAS but is an all-purpose camouflaged windproof oversmock with trousers that was issued as winter clothing and as a side note there are photographs of Canadian infantry soldiers wearing this style of Windproof Smock as well a Denison Smocks during the winter of 1944-45. These Windproof smock/trouser combinations were also manufctured in white, green and tan although the camouflage version has always had the most collector appeal. It is certainly interesting to see an image of a U.S. soldier wearing one of these garments and is as unusual as seeing Canadians wearing M1943 Jackets.

Eric another nice and obscure portrait.Some place I have a black denim type pull over with wool lining.Its British issue PT shirt.Got it from a medic who was in the 17th Airborne and he said they were given these prior to or during the Bulge as a type of cold weather sweater to wear under the field jackets.

• 1 month later...
USCapturephotos

I have a photo somewhere of a GI wearing a white camo outer suit in Europe late in the war. I believe it is a British white windproof pullover and trousers.

Paul