Rare USMC photo with painted drum

Eric Queen

In my experience these photos do not come along very often so thought it would be fun to post it. Please feel free to add any additional photos following the same theme to this thread.

rehaee0003 x.jpg

I've got an album to a 5th Marine HQ man, believe he was a bandsman. Has this identicle pic and several other nice candid shots of this drum. Note that in addition to the 5 service chevrons, it also has a Wound stripe. This drum was holed by an enemy shell at Verdun and thus.....Wounded! Great image......Semper Fi......Bob

As someone who carried a bass drum in the junior and senior high marching bands, I can tell you it was painful process back in the days when you supported the drum on thin un-padded straps. That drummer's face seems to say, "I'm really tired, can I go now?"

Great photo though.

Great photo, I have seen it in WWI USMC references before and have read the story about it being "wounded" as Bob described. Anyone know where this drum currently resides? I don't recall seeing it at the NMMC, although I know they have a lot of artifacts in storage and not on display. Thanks for posting this Eric, you really have a remarkable collection. Kevin

Since Eric already made the offer in the original post, I would love to see more photos of early Marine Corps drums. I recently acquired one that is photographed on page 116 of Klies new reference on ega's. My drum (a snare) has black painted rims with twin incised gold stripes. I believe it to be about Span Am war vintage, but there is little reference material on these. Most of the snare drums of the turn of the century period have red rims. I am most interested in determining if there was a change in regs from black to red, or from red to black rims. I suspect, because my drum seems slightly taller than the red rimmed ones that it might be earlier (CW drums were cut down over the years to raise the tone, and it seems snare drums generally got smaller or shorter over the years). Kevin

That is awesome Dirk, thanks for sharing that. What a stunning piece. Beautiful artwork. Would love to see your drum Kevin if you have a chance to post it. I wonder how many of these survived? I know I have never seen one (pre WW2) in the flesh.

Great images. The majority of painted drums I've seen in photos seem to be in China

I believe a painted drum sold on eBay a couple of years back, can't recall the price but it wasn't cheap. Wish I'd kept the images

Great images. The majority of painted drums I've seen in photos seem to be in China

I believe a painted drum sold on eBay a couple of years back, can't recall the price but it wasn't cheap. Wish I'd kept the images

This set was fairly inexpensive:

drum1.jpeg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

I love seeing band photos! One of my next projects is going to be a USMC Band Tribute, I have been acquired a few nice early band flyers and pamphlets.

I thought I had that exact pic but don't see it. Here are a few others from the band in Germany

5th Regt Drum 3.jpg

And my personal favorite! A bugler mascot in full USMC ubiform. Says he FrenchAnyone know anything about this lad?

5th Regt Drum - Mascot.jpg

Eric, I have two drums in my collection. One is very similar to the ebay sales screen shot. It has a Korea battle ribbon on it, so probably dates to 1950's. I found it at a local garage sale in my hometown about twenty years ago for $150.00. The paint is so nice I couldn't pass it up. The second is once again a Span Am vintage (I think) snare drum. It has the original ebony sticks, ega on the front and original gut snare and sheepskin heads. Would love to once again know more about the regulations prescribing black or red rims on these. Great photographs in this post. Kevin

post-21606-0-64544300-1465611620.jpg

post-21606-0-41824000-1465611628.jpg

post-21606-0-35880700-1465611641.jpg

post-21606-0-99216600-1465611649.jpg

Eric, I have two drums in my collection. One is very similar to the ebay sales screen shot. It has a Korea battle ribbon on it, so probably dates to 1950's. I found it at a local garage sale in my hometown about twenty years ago for $150.00. The paint is so nice I couldn't pass it up. The second is once again a Span Am vintage (I think) snare drum. It has the original ebony sticks, ega on the front and original gut snare and sheepskin heads. Would love to once again know more about the regulations prescribing black or red rims on these. Great photographs in this post. Kevin

Glad you posted these Kevin. I forgot about the painted drum, and that Span-Am drum with the shield is "to die for"!

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Woah Kevin! Those are freakin awesome! I would love to add some like those to my collection someday!

Love painted stuff, but the Span Am drum I think overshadows the painted KW in this case.

Would love to see the EGA/shield/wreath posted on the EGA subforum for discussion

This topic is turning into great fun