Imperial M4 bayonet with plastic grips New in Box

Misfit 45

Hi Folks,

I thought someone would like to see the packaging of a post war Imperial M4. This is the first time I have seen this bayonet NOS in original box. The item was on ebay and went for $112.00. Unfortunately, the package is not dated. Does the label indicate whether this was a US military M4 or could it just as likely be made for export?

Marv

post-26996-0-87840700-1465436844.jpg

post-26996-0-01614500-1465436859.jpg

post-26996-0-36279700-1465436874.jpg

Marv: Mine has the DAS mark on the guard. I think that says it all.

I would tend to agree, except for the quote in Gary Cunningham's book, US Knife bayonets and Scabbards. The quote is, " It has been suggested it was in the late 1950s or early 1960s, and was possibly primarily used to supply Military Aid program requirements." Since the terms "suggested" and "possibly" are used, I was hoping some original packaging might shed some new light on this little bayonet. My example also has the DAS.

Marv

I know the quote is a little disjointed. I should have notified Gary when he was asking for "correctons".

I feel the facts are the facts. Your packaging looks no different than a military contract package. Leaving out speculation I doubt the jury would be out for long.

Something we don't always consider is the fact that National Guard, and probably Reserve units were still issued M1 Garands, and Carbines into the 1970s. So there would be new in the box M4s available to those units. SKIP

there are also military schools that use the M1, also I remember hearing during the 1st gulf war that many resere units deployed with the M1 and other early outdated gear, they had to be refited

By 1990, all Guard and Reserve units should have had at least M16A1's if not A2's. I've never heard of a Guard or Reserve unit having M1's that late. 1911's yes but not M1's.

I'm with Redleg13a, had not seen, or heard of Guard or Reserve units still using M1s into the 1990s. I retired in 1991 from the army , saw M1s in a few arms rooms in Central America, but the units carried M16A1 rifles. I can't see US units still using M1s, when our allies were carrying M16s. But. one thought could be they had M1D sniper rifles. Not sure when they all got pulled from units. Just speculation. SKIP

When mentioning the M1, keep in mind we're talking about an M4 bayonet which fits the M1 Carbine not the M1 rifle.

Marv