Unusual Aerial Gunner's Wing

Allan H.

Here is an unusual wing. A Meyer made Aerial Gunner that is plated in gold rather than with a silver finish.

Any ideas on this one?

Allan

What are the dimensions? I have a pair of gold pilot's wings that I am trying to determine if they are sweetheart or what.

What are the dimensions? I have a pair of gold pilot's wings that I am trying to determine if they are sweetheart or what.

Beast,

The wing is a 3" size, and looks like a standard pair of wings although the feathering looks more "deco" than the issue stuff. It is well marked on the back.

I don't think it is sweetheart, but I guess it could be.

Any others?

Allan

I have heard rumor that in Italy some of the squadrons there had gold wings locally made and presented them to crews that had completed 50 missions without loss. Just a rumor, but...

Dave

Allan - is it possible to have you post a higher res photo of the obverse and reverse. The current photo is very hard to make out.

Thanks

John

John,

I wish I could give you a better shot of the wing, but that is about as detailed as I could get it. While digging through "crap," I found a similar navigator's wing.

post-151-1171222591.jpg

• 5 years later...
1st Sgt CES

If I remember right did not the US Air Force wear gold insignia when they first broke off from the US Army in the late 1940's. I have some gold color Air Force buttons that came off a World War dated Officer's uniform that was badly mothed. Any ideas ? Blue Skies Mark

If I remember right did not the US Air Force wear gold insignia when they first broke off from the US Army in the late 1940's...

Yes, I've seen collar branch of service, prop & wings insignia, buttons and hat/cap badges in brass/gold color if memory serves... but not any gold wings before seeing this thread.

1st Sgt CES

Gold US Air Force Button from mothed World War Two Uniform. If I remember right the gold was in use for less then a year after the break from the US Army in 1947. Does anyone have any other input ? Blue Skies Mark

post-6716-1339546168.jpg

Gold US Air Force Button from mothed World War Two Uniform. If I remember right the gold was in use for less then a year after the break from the US Army in 1947. Does anyone have any other input ? Blue Skies Mark

These look like wings made by Russell Uniform Co. They made a variety of wings, including a Venezuelan pilot wing using this pattern in gold or gilt metal. I suspect that someone used this as a base and added the appropriate center to make up a gunner or navigator wing. With out better pictures, it is hard to tell if this is a vintage WWII style prototype or a fantasy piece. I suspect that it is a fantasy piece based on a new strike off of a Russell Uniform Co made wing.

Patrick