WW1 Victory Medal

Bobertizkewl

Bobertizkewl

Hi,

What do you guys think about the ribbon on this 7 bar victory medal? To me, it looks like it's been replaced with a modern ribbon. I'm not sure if the bars are authentic to the medal because of this. Please let me know what you think, I will post a picture.

Thanks!

post-12534-0-21421600-1464756493.jpeg

Modern ribbon. All the old US Victory medal ribbons look slightly different.

But a very nice medal btw. I like it.

Regards

Herman

It has to be mentioned that not all Victory medal were issued in 1920’s only about third of them. Also each new ribbon that followed had a slight change as the original ribbon stock ran out. The clasps are original and their placement is correct. Adding you will find that some Motor Truck Companies will have 6- 7-8-9 clasps and that is who I think would have received this type medal. The trouble I have is, I have seen over 60 MTC medals, yet not one with the clasps “YPRES-Lys” on it. The US troops serving with Brits would not need our Motor Trucks Corps, since the Brits would have had their own trucks.

The 27th & 30th Divisions along with 52nd & 55th Field Artillery Brigades supported and served with the Brits. I know of no other large group of US troops to entitled to this clasp YPRES-Lys. “It just a though”.

Read more in my book which is sold on Amazon.com

post-12923-0-46117800-1464893438.jpg

The clasp is actually "Lys" not "Ypres-Lys." However, the Lys clasp makes the medal even more problematic. Lys is one of the scarcest of clasps in terms of numbers awarded, and no MTC units were awarded the Lys clasp. If I remember correctly, 2 or 3 Engineer Regiments and perhaps a handful of Aero Squadrons earned this clasp while supporting British operations in northern France very early in the U.S. participation.

The Montdidier-Noyon clasp is also fairly scarce, with a few support units and the 1st Division earning that clasp.

The ribbon length looks about right, and the stitching looks good. Overall the medal may be a later issued one or a re-ribboned one that has been done well.

ww1buff

These old eyes, sorry about the ypres-lys.

Lys awarded to the 11th & 16th engineers, 1st Gas regiments Co A & B and 4th Pursuit Group,17th & 148th Squadron.