America's ww2 bombing campaign- 10 books

tdogchristy90

tdogchristy90

So for my schooling I took a class called "intensive reading". The entire class involved reading 15 books on a specific topic as a way to gain an understanding of that topic. That was literally the whole class, reading books and book reports to verify you did the reading, no tests or lectures. The class is also used as a research tool to help with graduate papers. The 15 books I covered dealt with the United States bombing campaign during ww2 and these are my findings...

Pre-Invasion Bombing Strategy by W.W. Rostow. -This book covered Eisenhower's debate and decision about how best to use the air force to prepare for the Normandy invasion. It revolves around the debate over attacking Germans oil or transportation systems as a pre requisite to the invasions. Its a short book but enjoyable.

Courage and Air Warfare by Mark Wells. -This book was especially enjoyable for me as I've read other books on the topic dealing with World War One and the Civil War. The book revolves around the psychological, emotional, and physical strain caused by the uniqueness of areal combat. One of the standouts on my list.

Command of the Air by Giulio Douhet. -This book is unique among the list as it was written before air warfare was even a reality. Douhet was a theorist who essential writes a thesis stating why he feels air warfare will be the ultimate military weapon. Douhet is considered the father of the areal warfare.

Rise of American Air Power by Michael Sherry. -This one was written by an ivy league professor and it shows as it is somewhat dense, wordy, and can feel overwhelming. HOWEVER it is an excellent piece of pros covering darn near EVERYTHING involving American air power, especially during World War Two.

Air Power in the Age of Total War by John Buckley. -This is another standout as the author takes the unique approach of describing how technological and industry played a role in air power during war. He best shows this by how the United States was better willing and able to use industry to guide air power while the German's did not and failed.

History of Strategic Bombing by Lee Kenneth. -This is a more general book, not to short or long and well written. It is exactly as the title says, a history of strategic bombing (ww2). Just well written and recommend for anyone seeking a good overview of American bombing during World War Two.

The Bombers and The Bombed by Richard Overy. -Another book that covers just about everything dealing with the air warfare from military bombing to German civilian reaction to being bombed. Another great book but without the feeling of dense wordiness present in Michael Sherry's book. Some will say it is the definitive book on the bombing campaign.

Bombs, Cities, and Civilians by Conrad Crane. -Another standout on the list, this book is like a well balanced desert. Just pure enjoyment. For anyone seeking to get a quick overview of U.S. bombing this is definitely the one to read before jumping into some of the more detailed and lengthy pieces on this list.

Wings of Judgment by Ronald Schaffer. -This book is similar to Rise of American Air power, arguing the moral issues of bombing. It was actually this book that led me to my thesis topic. Schaffer tries to argue why the bombing wrong and immoral. I'm actually trying to argue the opposite, that the bombing campaign was justified. Similar spin as Sherry.

Wings of Democracy by Jeffery Underwood. -This last book is another major standout on the list and will stick with me for sometime. The author looks at how the air corps campaign to gain relevance and independence in the 1930's shaped Roosevelt attitude toward airpower. Interestingly enough the thesis doesn't seem to come until the end of the book when the author seems to show how the political campaign by the air corps was so successful in the 30s of winning over Roosevelt that Roosevelt put too much faith in the bomber and was blinding to the Japanese threat. Again, one of the select highlights on this list and one that will be sticking with me for some time to come.

So I think that is it, hope someone can get something from this and gain an new understanding into air power. Thanks.

Honorable mention:

Under the Bombs by Earl Beck

Bomber Harris by Charles Messenger

Billy Mitchell by Alfred Hurley

The Strategic Air War against Japan by Haywood Hansell Jr.

Air Power in War by Arthur Tedder