• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 48stars

48stars
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,058
  • 604 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:33 AM

Haven't been on here in a while since my computer crashed and everything was restored along with the lack of finding new stuff. But I just picked up this piece and it has me wondering. Had no idea what it was because the markings were so hard to see and I didn't have my magnifier. But it was so well made that I figured can't go wrong for 5 bucks. I know being British this has already raised an eyebrow for some. But what little info I have gathered, it was used by U.S. Airborne troops in limited quantities during the Normandy Invasion and Operation Market Garden. I'm also told they were used as a makeshift handlebar rack or maybe even designed to fit on the British made BSA Folding Bicycle as seen here in the photos. Question is.....was it issued to U.S. troops? and any other insight would be greatly appreciated about our Airborne units use of the BSA folding bicycle.

13319699_1709655015939140_6367856751193744091_n.jpg

#2 'Flage Guy

'Flage Guy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,226
  • 4,207 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:22 PM

What you have there is a British Pack Frame, which did see action on the D-Day Landings.

Here is a photo taken during the action of the U.S. Rangers preparing to scale Pointe du Hoc. The Frame is laying face-down at lower center,

with a Life Belt strapped around it.

Attached Images

• Rangers at Ponte du Hoc #1 USMFB.jpg

#3 'Flage Guy

'Flage Guy
  • Members
  • 4,207 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:25 PM

Here is one which my Dad bought me for my birthday for camping when I was 10 or 11.

Still very solid, with all leather strapping.

Attached Images

• British Pack Frame #1A USMFB.JPG

#4 'Flage Guy

'Flage Guy
  • Members
  • 4,207 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:27 PM

The Pack side. The shelf at the bottom folds up- should have made some shots of it folded up.

I don't know if these were issued to U.S. personnel, but I couldn't think of any reason that they wouldn't have been.

Attached Images

• British Pack Frame #2 USMFB.JPG

Edited by 'Flage Guy, 03 June 2016 - 08:29 PM.

#5 48stars

48stars
  • Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 05:38 PM

Thanks for the input. I was a bit stumped when I picked it up at the flea market thinking it was Boy Scouts but oddly well made for it. The steel welding is exceptional and most Boy Scout items were aluminum if I recall correctly. Anyway, got it home and found the Broad Arrow Proof. Wondering how many of these I walked away from in the past but sure it will never happen again. The going rate on these is about 250- and I was able to flip it for the VN tropical rucksack I wanted.

#6 'Flage Guy

'Flage Guy
  • Members
  • 4,207 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:58 PM

You got a real deal on that; I didn't read your post thoroughly enough, so I thought at first you were wondering about the one in the photo..."duh" on my part!
That's only the 2nd photo I've ever seen of one of these in use. Only with your permission will I save it for my "Army Data" file...if not, no problem.

There was one in mint condition on Ebay a while back with a Broad Arrow and 1945 stamp. Was that yours?

#7 48stars

48stars
  • Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:51 AM

Sure thing all yours, you'll find another period photo of some British paratroopers walking the BSA'a along with these mounted as well if you google

"British Everest Load Carrier"

And no, had no clue about these until finding this one, I think the color of the canvas piece being that weird brown threw the other guys at the swap meet off, it's very similar to an early U.S. brand of camping gear. Didn't want anyone to thing I was selling it here so I didn't add photos of the actual item but here it is now since it's gonzo.

Attached Images

• 2.jpg

#8 48stars

48stars
  • Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:52 AM

another

Attached Images

• 3.jpg

#9 48stars

48stars
  • Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:53 AM

Bottom side view

Attached Images

• 5.jpg

#10 48stars

48stars
  • Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:53 AM

Markings

Attached Images

• marking.jpg

#11 'Flage Guy

'Flage Guy
  • Members
  • 4,207 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:58 AM

Thanks much!

I'm gonna have to go check mine to see if it has the Arrow stamp on the frame.

And very slick that those Bikes are made by BSA; they used to make a great motorcycle.

Same brown canvas as well. They had stacks of these at Tarzana Surplus in the early '60s...once again, hindsight kicks in :blush:

Edited by 'Flage Guy, 05 June 2016 - 05:00 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users