Operation Market Garden 82nd AB KIA

Terry K.

I am trying to get this all in a trade.

Here is his PH document. No medals, just paperwork. Some pics.

Dropped into Normandy, hit by a sniper a few days later. Came back in time for MG.

He is a local boy from where I was born.

These men are what we are to honor tomorrow on "Decoration Day" as my parents called it.

post-629-0-86461100-1464574454.jpg

post-629-0-24986200-1464574465.jpg

Included in grouping is book "READY" by Langdon, Many of his letters, including from hospital in England after being shot by sniper.

He went to OCS. I believe he jumped on Sicily, fought in Italy and jumped on D-Day, and Operation Market Garden

Bellumbill

Very nice grouping! Can't wait to see the rest. Curious, I am a Chicago boy, where was he from, where were you born?

Thanks for posting!

Very best,

Bill

Bellumbill

Terry -

Oh, just reread through all this this morning - too tired to notice last night - Wow!!! Capt. Stefanich was a very popular officer in the 505th, figures prominently in several books on the the 82nd in WWII. He was C company. From Bradley/Bourbonnais/Kankakee (as you know). Wow again - great pick up! I've been reading about him for years.

Best,

Bill K.

As soon as I can I will post more. This stuff was being thrown away and my friend ended up with it. I have been helping baby sit and have not had much time to dig through more. If you know anything about him he was in the NG out of Kankakee, IL. 129th Inf. Regt. He was friends with a Pvt. Boris Ruel from Bradley, IL. Co. "A" 504th Parachute Bn. My brother was good friends with him and I knew him also. He was on of the 1st Paratroopers, in fact I think he is pictured in the book PARATROOPER by Devlin.

Here are a couple of other pieces

post-629-0-53669400-1464843740.jpg

Here is a list of people that Boris Ruel kept. I don't know how this was in Anthony's stuff but it was.

post-629-0-90478100-1464844330.jpg

Here is the Telegram to his mother after he was "slightly wounded" on 7 June 1944. He was in a hospital in North Ireland because of this slight wound.

No KIA telegram found

post-629-0-84031800-1464876568.jpg

• 6 months later...

These excellent photos were taken at either Oudja, French Morocco or Kairouan, Tunisia (although I think the former). Both locations were used as preparation and staging bases for the 82nd when they arrived in N Africa. Neither of these locations were garden spots, but Oudja was particularly bad