USMC 4th Division Grouping from Garage Sale

Calvin Hall

Calvin Hall

Well, I decided to change the oil in my car this morning, so I drove it around the neighborhood to warm-up the oil. Saw a garage sale, and I (reluctantly) decided to stop and check it out.

I love going to garage sales, but I always leave frustrated having wasted my time. I never seem to find anything that interests me.

The guy running the sale mentions that he retired from the Air Force. I mention that I collect WWII and Vietnam era 'stuff'. He mentions that his relative was in USMC in WWII and Korea. I ask if he has anything from the relative that he would consider seling. He runs inside and returns with a small box.

post-2080-0-61704700-1464457821.jpg

Calvin Hall

Well, I examine the contents of the box and realize that they are significant. The seller mentions that the vet was at Saipan, Iwo and Okinawa. Also at inchon in Korea.

So, I ask him if he is really interested in selling the box, and he just says, 'sure.'

All this has happened within about five minutes of me arriving at the garage sale.

post-2080-0-54990400-1464458213.jpg

post-2080-0-34039000-1464458222.jpg

post-2080-0-86844800-1464458233.jpg

post-2080-0-91694300-1464458245.jpg

Calvin Hall

So, I'm in a mild state of shock, but I ask hime if he has anything else. He says not much, but he again runs into the house and returns with two scrapbooks and a group photo.

The scrapbooks are mainly newspaper clippings about the Pacific campaigns especially Saipan.

The photo is of a class of First Sargeants.

The Domain of the Golden Dragon certificate was in one of the scrapbooks.

post-2080-0-47393000-1464458696.jpg

post-2080-0-48721800-1464458744.jpg

post-2080-0-49613300-1464458761.jpg

post-2080-0-37751300-1464458875.jpg

Calvin Hall

We agreed on a price, and I paid him.

The whole transaction took about 10 minutes.

Looks like he was with HQ/2/23 4th MarDiv, and WIA on July 6, 1944. Great finds for a surprise garage sale stop!

Nice find. Here's some info.

Name

HOLLAND

Flagged

Yes

First Name

ERNEST

Middle Name

WARREN

Service Number

Date of Casualty

6-JUL-44

Unit

HQ. CO. 2NDBN, 23RDMAR, 4THMARDIV, FMF, MARIANAS ISLANDS

Type of Casualty

WIA

TAB HOL-HOLLE

Created By1

Allana Sarmiento

Created1

1/24/2014 14:00

Item Type1

Item

Path1

sites/USMC_History_Division/Lists/WWII

A Big OooooRAH! Congrats.......Right time - Right place......usually what gets 'er done! Semper Fi.....Bobgee

Kurt Barickman

Very nice deal and congrats! When you have the time, would like to see more details.

Thanks for sharing,

Kurt

firefighter

Awesome find. Looks like another family member served in Desert Storm, could have been the seller. Those could be his medals.

Calvin Hall

I'm still in shock that I was able to purchase this grouping.

From my experience when I ask about militaria at a garage sale it get one of the following responses:

A. No, I don't have any.

B. Yes, I used to have a bunch of lugers, knights crosses, my uncles stuff from WWII, etc., but...

1. I can't find. It's somewhere in the attic.

2. It was stolen by my __________ (insert family member, neighbor, etc.)

3. Previously sold

4. My sister now has it.

At any rate, here are a few more photos of the medals and ribbons.

post-2080-0-95190100-1464539652.jpg

post-2080-0-14179900-1464539660.jpg

post-2080-0-17673100-1464539667.jpg

Phenomenal. I've had very little luck the garage sales in the past...and none in the past decade. Problem with a military town is the resident turnover, few lifetime residents, and the military stuff they do have is typical current surplus

Always a big fan of earlier mounted medal bars...few Marines seemed to bother unless their billet required it

firefighter

Again beautiful grouping to a Marine that was part of some historic battles.Did he happen to say where he was wounded?

Again beautiful grouping to a Marine that was part of some historic battles.Did he happen to say where he was wounded?

Based on the date, it would have been on Saipan.

Calvin Hall

Based on the date, it would have been on Saipan.

I was told that he was wounded on Saipan. I am glad that the dates confirm this.

• 6 months later...

Very nice to see Holland's stuff.

I happen to be unit historian for Fox Co, 2/23 -- and I guess of 2/23 by default. There were only two First Sergeants in the battalion during the Saipan operation. Ernie Holland was 1stSgt. of Hq Company; the other was our 1stSgt. Jim Hutson of Fox Company. Holland was wounded on 6 July when atop Prudential Hill, when the rifle company patrols were searching for a way down the cliff to Tanapag Plain. Since LtCol. Dillon was wounded in the neck by shrapnel that day, I would expect that Holland's wound was related...simply because of proximity to Dillon. As 1stSgt. his job was largely an administrative one at or near Dillon's CP, and not down the hill with the line. Gene Davis was promoted to 1stSgt. to replace Holland on the 18th, a few days before they moved on to make the Tinian landing, then he himself was wounded the first day on Tinian.

The book manuscript is with the publishing editor at the moment so we'll see what happens. I don't mention Holland in it, but the setting for the battalion is memorable and covered pretty well. Holland worked literally side-by-side with our 1stLt. Charlie Ahern, whom LtCol. Dillon had called up from Fox Co to be his Battalion Liaison Officer after Roi-Namur -- a job that was hell on earth for him until 2 July, when he convinced the colonel that things would probably be much better if he were back up with Fox Company running his platoon again. Dillon told him to go up there and then keep going a little further.

Holland put up with this same stuff.

Cheers!

Btw: In the photo, might there be: Hutson, Townsley, Benavage, or Galiher?