Gun Captain Second Class

CTI1610

Acquired this rate on eBay. It was part of a lot of three rates (two of which were obviously made for a kid's jumper) in a listing that didn't even mention gun captain. It's a skosh smaller than modern rates but I think it's legit. Next post will show reverse.

post-5287-0-79693200-1464382125.jpeg

David Minton

Glad someone from the forum picked this one up. I noticed it when it was listed, but dropped out of the bidding early.

It looked good to me, but I don't own anything earlier than the 1905 series, so it is outside my area of expertise.

Glad someone from the forum picked this one up. I noticed it when it was listed, but dropped out of the bidding early.

It looked good to me, but I don't own anything earlier than the 1905 series, so it is outside my area of expertise.

I am curious, how is it that this is not an 05 rating badge?

David Minton

According to John Stacey's book (2014 rev.) Gun Captain was only used between 1897 and 1904.

Why would you believe it be be from later?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The construction for one thing also the wear out period was up to a year and in the Asiatic fleet said to be longer.

David Minton

I originally wrote is was not from the 1905 series. While it may have been worn, or even made in 1905 (or later), the rating was deestablished in 1904, according to John Stacey. Maybe just semantics, in the grand scope of things.

Since I don't own any rates made before 1905, I'm not a good judge of what they should or shouldn't look like. It doesn't look like any pre 1905 ratings I have seen photos of, but again, not my area. It does look to me at least 100 years old, for what it's worth. Enjoy it as part of your collection as either a standard example, or an odd transitional piece, whichever it turns out to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is an awesome example of a sailor doing what sailors do, taking advantage of that small period of time to show he was an old timer. Thus creating a 1905 rate that did not exist and yet did. Some times Navy insignia collecting is not black and white no matter what the Regs say.

• 5 weeks later...

Its good, i was bidding also but got out because i have 3 to 4 of these rates now. Got one on a kids set a few months back.

John, I personally think the 1905 style rate is earlier then what was John Stacey has written in his book. I have seen examples of name uniforms which i have 1 or 2 with these 1905 style rates and the guy got out before 1905. I truely think this stlye was out around 1900 or just after.

I am happy to start a thread about the 1905 style rates being earlier. I have a uniform to a 1st class yeoman that was discharged in 1903. Enlisted in 1899 made po3 and po2 in 1902 then po1 end of 1902 or 1903. Have his po3 and po2 rates as well. If any are interested i can do a thread on this subject, i post the uniform set years ago.

I am happy to start a thread about the 1905 style rates being earlier. I have a uniform to a 1st class yeoman that was discharged in 1903. Enlisted in 1899 made po3 and po2 in 1902 then po1 end of 1902 or 1903. Have his po3 and po2 rates as well. If any are interested i can do a thread on this subject, i post the uniform set years ago.

You don't need to ask, of course we're interested!

Justin B.

You don't need to ask, of course we're interested!

Justin B.

I post the link to state what i was talking about. But could maybe do another thread in the very near future. Maybe a time line of rating badges and construction/styles of each of those era's