L. Co., 16th IR Occupation Ike Jacket

2ndInf.Div.

2ndInf.Div.

Dropped by the local pawn shop today to see if anything new had come in, and this one immediately caught my eye. This is a M1946 Ike jacket that belonged to a GI of L/16, 1st ID. I don't collect ETO or occupation stuff, but as I belong with a group that re-enacts L/16, I couldn't really say no to it ^_^

I'm not entirely sure what's up with the collar brass and DI's, as I thought post-war brass didn't have any unit designation stamped on them? They are slightly domed but nothing like most post-war collar brass. The rifles seem to be rather big compared to standard infantry collar brass. The 16th DI's are also pretty darn big it seems, and are also clutchback. Any idea if this is US or German-made insignia? Also, any info on what the yellow cord is would be much appreciated.

Hope you all enjoy this uniform as much as I do!

post-80799-0-65337800-1464140446.jpg

post-80799-0-67002100-1464140454.jpg

That is the fouragerre for the French Medal Militaire unit citation. When a unit was cited twice in orders, it was awarded the Croix de Guerre fouragerre. The 16th received this in WW1, but was cited twice again in WW2, son the fouragerre was upgraded to the next level -- Medal Militaire.

G