CP-marked Hatchet

reschenk

The recent postings on hatchets got me thinking about one I picked up a couple years ago. I do not collect hatchets and know nothing about them but this one peaked my interest, primarily because of the large "CP" stamped on the blade. The seller said it was an 18th century tool used by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania militia - thus the "CP". He had no information to support this attribution, but it was cheap, so I bought it planning to research it later. Well, I never did. I would, however, like to know if in fact it is a Pennsylvania militia-used item and, if so, its approximate age. It appears hand made and is in relic condition, probably excavated. The handle is obviously a relatively modern replacement. Do any of you forum members have any information or comments you'd care to share? Thanks.

post-160923-0-04908000-1464026199.jpgpost-160923-0-23326200-1464026291.jpg

is the head hand made, it looks like a throwing tomahawk they are patterned on the originals it could be from that era or it could be a specialized tool either way a neat find

Some more info on my hatchet: Did some belated research on it and it appears to be what is called a round-poll trade belt axe, aka tomahawk, of the French Biscayne pattern. It was used extensively in the fur trade from the 1600s up through the 1700. They were also widely carried by American troops as personal sidearms during the French and Indian Wars and the Revolution. Neuman shows a number of axes similar to mine in his work on blades of the Revolution. My blade is 7" long and 3" wide and shows some early features, e.g. the round eye and the notch on the lower side of the blade. Re-looking at the marking, I'm not certain I'm not imagining the "P" in "CP". The "C" is definitely a touch mark, but the "P" might just be the pattern of the corrosion. I would still appreciate input from our members who are more knowledgeable on these items than myself, especially on the markings.