2 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 25,254 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 05:11 PM

So-called sweetheart pillow covers (or pillow shams) were made to commemorate a unit or a base and designed to be sent home to mom, wife girlfriend, etc. They are usually colorful, but normally it's something I'll pass on.

Until today when I came across this one at an estate sale. From across the room my eye easily caught the distinctive crest of the CBI - China, Burma, India - theatre of operations from WWII.

On closer inspection I was amazed to discover it's all done in silver bulllion! The overall piece is 16 inches square: that CBI crest is 4.5 inches high (not counting the bullion work above it in the photos).

I did some searching around on the web today and found some embroidered CBI shams, but nothing like this. Again, sweetheart shams usually incite me to nothing more than a "Well that's nice," but this bullion encrusted piece was more like "Cooool!"

Here's the front and back of the piece and some closeups (which are close to life sized):

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 94
  • 11,466 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:54 PM

Wow! That is nice. Thanks for showing!
Justin

#3 BrianMcC

BrianMcC
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 345
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:53 PM

I not going to fight anyone over this type of thing either but this sucker is really quite nice.

One of a kind maybe?

Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)