How do I clean a canteen interior?

mpguy80/08

Greetings.

I'd like to know what I can use to clean a WWI or WWII Canteen and restore it to a drinkable status. I have aquired a fw canteens that are pretty gnarley on the inside and would like to know how to restore these to drinkable status. I have two with bakelite caps, and one with a metal cap. The metal capped one is particularly ugly on the inside. Any Suggestions?

Thanks

Wayne

Hi,

I use the tablets from the camel bak to clean mine out, but there the vietnam ones, how about giving them hot soapy water and a baby bottle brush and then a good boil. I am not sure how that will work with the bakelite caps however. The other way is BLEACH,, BUT MAKE SURE that the bleach is all gone and rinsed out good before use, it could do ya in if not....

This is mostly for smaller bottles, but a little dishwashing powder and some water works like an abrasive when you shake the canteen.

i used a slurry of water and sand to clean mine out,just mix the two together in the canteen,screw cap on and start shakin,kinda time consuming but it will work,if you have heavy deposits of crud in there i would also use vinagar to soften them up a bit,just remember to keep an eye on it as vinager is acidic and will eat up an aluminum ,i would fill it up and let it sit for an hour,pour it out(be sure to save it)and check the progress,repeat if needed, and finish off with the slurry treatment

Greetings.

I'd like to know what I can use to clean a WWI or WWII Canteen and restore it to a drinkable status. I have aquired a fw canteens that are pretty gnarley on the inside and would like to know how to restore these to drinkable status. I have two with bakelite caps, and one with a metal cap. The metal capped one is particularly ugly on the inside. Any Suggestions?

Thanks

Wayne

What color is the crud inside?

Is it whitish?

If so, the slurry using sand is probably going to be the best - because the stuff is mineral deposits. Will need repeated vigorous sloshings.

If it isn't white crud - then try using a product (expensive, but a little goes a long way) made by Oreck, called "All Purpose Cleaner" or "O Monster Cleaner"... that stuff is non toxic, and will dissolve almost anything of that nature anywhere you find it.

Thanks everyone. I should have denoted these are aluminum Canteens. For the most part from what I can see around the inside of the mouth area the deposits are mostly white. I will try the vinegar and sand slurry first. That sounds like the way to go from a non toxic non chemical stand point. I DO want to be able to drink out of these eventually!

Wayne

Corpl. Cleaver

Some guys also put soap, water and uncooked rice or even BBs in it and shake it for a few min, it works well.

I think I have even heard of guys boiling canteens.

Also replace the cork that is in the lid, you can get replacements online for under $1 a peice, it improves the seal, and old corks may make the wather tast wierd..

Laury Allison

You can use a little bit of dishwasher cleaner like Cascade with a little water. Let it sit for a bit then rinse. Works great to clean out build up. thumbsup.gif

I have used Lime-Away, its designed to elimiate mineral deposits ect in coffee pots ect. I like the idea of an abrassive, Ill try that. Hey since we are on the subject of canteens.

Similiar to the sand slurry solution is a method used when I bar tended on the side.The glass coffe pots would really get stained.We took a couple hand fulls of ice cubs(these were small)placed them in the coffe pot and then poured regular Morton table salt on the ice.This created a salt slurry.Would them shake the coffe pot in a circular motion and agitate the ice and salt.Would do this for a few minute and the result was a very clean pot.All stains gone.

Dont know if it would work on a aluminum canteen but worth a try.Pretty natural and a good rinse with water may do the trick.

RON

Something I have used on various containers from time to time with good results is Efferdent denture cleaner. It takes off quite a bit of crud and although I have found things it won't do much about, it does clean more than I expected. My mother collected porcelain and it did a good job getting stains out of old coffee pots and the like.

Once you have the inside clean, you'll want to disinfect it. Fill the canteen with water and add two drops of Clorox then let it sit overnight. You can also use boiling water to disinfect.

Best wishes, Jim

Some rock salt and just enough water to slush it around works, used it before with good results. The thing about the ice and salt works but it makes the isce melt quicker (like an old time ice cream maker....Hmmmm Ice Cream.. Sorry, back to the point try the rock salt.

post-87-1221089935.gif

Greetings.

Thanks

Wayne

Are you going to use these for reenactments or anything? or would just like them clean?

Are you going to use these for reenactments or anything? or would just like them clean?

*enters the reply box still laughing at Bolo's suggestion*

I was hoping to use these for reenacting. I kinda like the metal lidded one I just got, but its the worst of the three. I pulled the lid and WHOA!!! Crud city. This one I believe is an old WWI steel canteen without the cup rim. metal cap, and welds up the sides. Definite lime scale crud. I'm going to need to replace the cork for sure in the cap. The two bakelite lidded canteens I have are fairly clean inside. A quick disinfect and those should be good. I've attached a pic here to show you the severity of the problem. pardon the bad photography... not got the hang of digital closeups yet

Wayne

post-3743-1221109126.jpg

*enters the reply box still laughing at Bolo's suggestion*

I was hoping to use these for reenacting. I kinda like the metal lidded one I just got, but its the worst of the three. I pulled the lid and WHOA!!! Crud city. This one I believe is an old WWI steel canteen without the cup rim. metal cap, and welds up the sides. Definite lime scale crud. I'm going to need to replace the cork for sure in the cap. The two bakelite lidded canteens I have are fairly clean inside. A quick disinfect and those should be good. I've attached a pic here to show you the severity of the problem. pardon the bad photography... not got the hang of digital closeups yet

Wayne

In this case - I suggest sand blasting. :D

Personally I am not found of using an Aluminum canteen for WW2 reenacting because of the crud issue.

I simply use a stainless steel canteen. As it's SS its a clean as a whistle. thumbsup.gif

Personally I am not found of using an Aluminum canteen for WW2 reenacting because of the crud issue.

I simply use a stainless steel canteen. As it's SS its a clean as a whistle. thumbsup.gif

I have two rimmed stainless Canteens that are really clean... I'm still going to disinfect them before I drink out of them. Anyone know where I can get new corks? These look okay, but I dont want to take chances. I'd want to replace them after the bleach anyway

Wayne

Corpl. Cleaver
Anyone know where I can get new corks?

here are some places you can check

www.ebay.com

www.alliedworkshops.com

I know there is another place that has them, but I can't remember where.

Tyler

Captainofthe7th

If you can't get corks quick enough, use the little rubber piece on the inside of a soda bottle cap. They work better than a cork and are easy to get to when you're in a hurry.

Rob

Ok been here done this, I still carry a 45 Canteen hunting these days, what I do is one of several things, drop some house hold bleach into it with some water, give him a good shake, let him stand over night and then drain and rinse a few times and let him dry for a day or two this will remove the foulest of pongs from a canteen, or you can use a good denture cleaner Steradent or similar you know what people clean there false teeth in, another is baby bottle cleaner which we use to clean our bottle before filling with fresh home brewed beer, great stuff. I have done this for 20 years and never got a crook guts yet from it, water sterilising tablets work too, the trick it to leave the bottle dry and open when not being used.