The image below was originally featured on the Desert Storm 1991 (www.desertstorm1991.com) website. The website is now defunct and it would be a shame if such a wonderful image was lost to time. I have reposted it here; since it may help some individuals identify items they are not familiar with and it also serves as a basic guide to the individual equipment that was carried by infantrymen during the operation.
I have expanded the original descriptions (listed below the image) of the individual equipment items and included their correct nomenclature and corresponding National Stock Numbers. The original descriptions, on the original website, were very basic and non-descriptive.
1. BELT, INDIVIDUAL EQUIPMENT (NSN 8465-01-120-0674 for MEDIUM, 8465-01-120-0675 for LARGE) – designated LC-2. Fabricated of olive drab shade 7 nylon webbing with plastic “quick-release” buckle, which consists of the male BUCKLE (NSN 8315-01-287-0603) and female BUCKLE (NSN 8315-01-287-0604) assemblies.
2. SUSPENDERS, INDIVIDUAL EQUIPMENT BELT (NSN 8465-00-001-6471) – designed LC-1. Fabricated of olive drab shade 7 nylon webbing and universal sized.
3. FIELD PACK (NSN 8465-00-935-6825) fabricated of olive green shade 106 nylon duck and commonly referred to as the “butt pack.”
4. CASE, SMALL ARMS AMMUNITION (NSN 8465-00-001-6482) – pair – designated LC-1. Fabricated of olive green shade 106 nylon duck and (each) designed to accommodate three (3) 30-round cartridge magazines (Number 22), for the 5.56mm M16-series of rifles and carbines, and two (2) hand grenades, in pockets on either side of the small arms ammunition case.
5. COVER, WATER CANTEEN (NSN 8465-00-860-0256) – pair – designated LC-2. Fabricated of olive green shade 106 nylon duck and (each) designed to accommodate the one-quart water canteen (Number 7), water canteen cup (Number 8), and canteen cup stand (Number 9). A small pocket, on the left side, is designed to accommodate a bottle of iodine water purification tablets (Number 30).
6. CASE, FIELD FIRST AID DRESSING – UNMOUNTED MAGNETIC COMPASS (NSN 8465-00-935-6814) – designated LC-1. Fabricated of olive green shade 106 nylon duck and designed to accommodate either two (2) field first aid dressings (Number 12) and a packet of SODIUM BICARBONATE AND SODIUM CHLORIDE FOR HEMODIALYSIS SOLUTION (NSN 6505-00-663-2636) or the unmounted magnetic compass (Number 11).
7. CANTEEN, WATER (NSN 8465-01-115-0026) – pair – fabricated of olive drab rigid plastic. One-quart capacity with olive drab plastic STRAP, CAP, WATER CANTEEN (NSN 8465-01-082-6449) and NBC protective black plastic CAP, WATER CANTEEN (NSN 8465-00-930-2077 – designated M1).
8. CUP, WATER CANTEEN (NSN 8465-00-165-6838) fabricated of corrosion resisting steel with double wire (folding) handles.
9. STAND, CANTEEN CUP (NSN 8465-01-250-3632) fabricated of aluminum alloy and designed to be placed under the water canteen cup for heating the contents of the water canteen cup.
10. BAYONET AND SCABBARD (NSN 1095-01-227-1739) – designated M9. Complete assembly which also includes a STONE, SHARPENING (NSN 5345-01-275-5395). For use with the 5.56mm M16-series of rifles and carbines.
11. COMPASS, MAGNETIC, UNMOUNTED (NSN 6605-01-196-6971) with printed instruction card.
12. DRESSING, FIRST AID, FIELD (NSN 6510-00-159-4883) 6.25- to 7.25-inch by 4-inch sterile camouflaged field dressing in heat-sealed waterproof olive drab plastic packaging.
13. EQUIPMENT BELT EXTENDER (NSN 8465-01-457-8980) designed to extend the individual equipment belt (up to 4-inches), without adjustment, when worn over the PASGT vest or chemical protective suit. Known as the “Kovach Klip” after its inventor.
14. CARRIER, INTRENCHING TOOL (NSN 8465-00-001-6474) – designated LC-1. Fabricated of EVA plastic and designed to accommodate the collapsible intrenching tool (Number 15).
15. INTRENCHING TOOL, HAND (NSN 5120-00-878-5932) fabricated of aluminum and steel, lightweight tri-fold collapsible design.
16. COVER, WATER CANTEEN (NSN 8465-00-927-7485) fabricated of olive green shade 106 nylon duck and designed to accommodate the two-quart water canteen (Number 17). Includes an olive drab shade 7 nylon web SLING, BAG AND CASE CARRYING (NSN 8465-00-269-0682) and has a pocket on the front to accommodate a bottle of iodine water purification tablets (Number 30).
17. CANTEEN, WATER (NSN 8465-01-118-8173) fabricated of olive drab plastic. Collapsible two-quart capacity with olive drab plastic STRAP, CAP, WATER CANTEEN (NSN 8465-01-082-6449) and NBC protective olive drab plastic CAP, WATER CANTEEN (NSN 8465-00-930-2077 – designated M1).
18. HOLSTER, PISTOL (NSN 1095-01-194-3343) – designated M12. Fabricated of olive green ballistic nylon with universal flap (can be changed for right or left hand use) and designed to accommodate the PISTOL, 9 MILLIMETER (NSN 1005-01-118-2640 – designated M9). Includes a ROD, CLEANING, SMALL ARMS (NSN 1005-01-480-5461) in a special pocket on the front of the pistol holster.
19. POCKET, AMMUNITION MAGAZINE (NSN 8465-01-207-5573) fabricated of olive green nylon duck and designed to accommodate a single 15-round 9mm MAGAZINE, CARTRIDGE (NSN 1005-01-204-4376) for the M9 pistol.
20. CASE, SMALL ARMS AMMUNITION (NSN 8465-01-157-4834) fabricated of olive green shade 106 nylon duck and designed to accommodate the 200-round 5.56mm magazine assembly (Number 21) for the 5.56mm Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW).
21. MAGAZINE ASSEMBLY (NSN 1305-01-176-1125) fabricated of olive drab rigid plastic and designed to accommodate 200-rounds of belted (utilizing LINK, CARTRIDGE (NSN 1305-01-126-9924) designated M27) 5.56mm cartridges. For use with the MACHINE GUN, 5.56 MILLIMETER (NSN 1005-01-127-7510 – designated M249) also known as the Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW).
22. MAGAZINE, CARTRIDGE (NSN 1005-00-921-5004) fabricated of aluminum and designed to accommodate thirty (30) 5.56mm cartridges. For use with the 5.56mm M16-series of rifles and carbines.
23. PAN, MESS KIT (NSN 7350-00-242-5110)
24. FORK, FIELD MESS (NSN 7340-00-243-5391), KNIFE, FIELD MESS (NSN 7340-00-240-7436), and SPOON, FIELD MESS (NSN 7340-00-243-5390)
25. SNAP LINK, MOUNTAIN PITON (NSN 8465-00-360-0228) fabricated of zinc coated steel and frequently used to attach items to the individual equipment belt suspenders (such as gloves).
26. FLASHLIGHT (NSN 6230-00-264-8261) - designated MX-991/U. Fabricated of rigid olive green plastic and commonly called an “angle head” flashlight. Powered by two (2) BATTERY, NONRECHARGEABLE (NSN 6135-00-120-1020 – designated BA-30). Watertight with removable bottom screw-on compartment that contains a spare LAMP, INCANDESCENT (NSN 6240-00-155-8675 aka “bulb”) and various colored FILTER, FLASHLIGHT (NSN 6230-00-111-0190 (red), 6230-00-128-2464 (opaque – blackout filter), 6230-00-504-8341 (green), 6230-00-504-8342 (amber), 6230-01-189-1480 (blue)) and LENS, LIGHT (NSN 6230-00-356-4825 (translucent – diffusion)).
27. CASE, EAR PLUG INSERTER (NSN 6515-01-100-1674) fabricated of non-reflective translucent olive drab plastic with 5-inch metal beaded chain (used to attach to the uniform pocket or individual equipment). Top swivels to open and has single flange seater molded into it. Designed to accommodate one set of PLUG, EAR (NSN 6515-00-442-4821 for SMALL (green), 6515-00-442-4818 for REGULAR (orange), or 6515-00-467-0092 for LARGE (blue)).
28. LIGHT, MARKER, DISTRESS (NSN 6230-00-067-5209) – designated SDU-5/E. This is a “high-intensity” visual distress signal. Powered by a BATTERY, NONRECHARGEABLE (NSN 6135-00-073-8939 – designated BA-1574/U). The SDU-5/E is normally issued, and carried, in aviator’s survival vests, but infantrymen commonly acquired this item to be carried on their individual equipment for use in case of emergencies (where position signaling is required). Carried in the olive green shade 106 nylon duck CASE, LIGHT (NSN 6230-00-060-8125) most frequently (as in this case) attached (by lacing cords on the rear of the light case) to the individual equipment belt suspenders.
29. VEST, AMMUNITION CARRYING (NSN 8415-00-146-1667 for SMALL, 8415-00-146-1668 for MEDIUM, and 8415-00-146-1669 for LARGE) fabricated of olive green shade 106 nylon duck and designed to accommodate twenty-four (24) 40mm grenade cartridges in individual pockets – twenty (20) for carrying 40mm high explosive type cartridges (lower "short" pockets) and four (4) for carrying 40mm pyrotechnic type cartridges (upper "long" pockets).
30. WATER PURIFICATION TABLET, IODINE (NSN 6850-00-985-7166) small brown glass container (with metal screw cap) that can be carried in the pocket of water canteen covers (Numbers 5 and 16). Contains fifty (50) 8mg iodine water purification tablets.