Show some USN Rope work!

WW2JAKE

I'm a big fan of rope work used on Navy ships, In the past it was done with what was known as "Belfast Cord" which is no longer made.

Belfast cord was a term applied to a hard laid three strand cotton line and was used for fancy work all over ships, being cotton it took very well to being dyed and even a finish being applied over it which lead to some stunning results. The things made from it could range from Bell ropes, to railing covers, even belts and lanyards.

I thought some of you might have some images of it or even own some items made this way. so post away if you have it!

I've been saving these and don't recall where they are all from. some have info on them.

One of my absolute favorite pictures, a knife handle
post-125364-0-86197500-1462496312.jpg

you can see it covering the railing behind these sailors
post-125364-0-89878700-1462496364.jpg

man on the far right has a nice lanyard
post-125364-0-90782400-1462496395.jpg

some black rope work still on the hand railing USS Massachusetts... who sits there doing this on ships? :huh:

post-125364-0-72196200-1462508203.jpgpost-125364-0-33855100-1462508211.jpg

rrobertscv

We have a local non-profit store that raises money for the hospice house here in town. This was donated for sale and I happened to walk in the day they put it out.

post-285-0-88606100-1462541192.jpg

I never liked the rope work on stair rails. The ones without it would get rubbed real smooth from all the hands running down them over the years. Those smooth ones were perfect for lifting up your feet, supporting yourself by just your arms, and "palm-sliding" down. That rope work ruins all the fun.

Here's a good example (ladder going down to fwd compartment lower level on a 688 sub). You can kind of see how the top of the rail is shinier than the rest. I could get to the bottom of that ladder in about 0.7 seconds without using my feet.

ladder_to_fwd_compt_lower_level.jpg

Amazing work....I have trouble just tyeing my shoes of the time... :D

Ha! I was thinking the same thing. that is why I always wear slip-ons!

Mikie

I had a baton or billie club covered in the cordage at one time but this is all I have to post.

A Mk11 Robeson Navy Knife.Handled has benn covered in knot work.I am guessing the steel butt cap broke off the knife as this was a weak point on the Robesons for some reason and the owner then covered it in knotted cord.

Scabbard is decorated as well and appears to belonged to a Navy CB.

post-342-0-48762300-1462685529.jpg

post-342-0-80964200-1462685561.jpg

• 5 months later...

I remember my Dad telling me the only rope on a ship is the one attached to the ship's bell. Everything else was a line. As a Marine, he did three years seagoing on the USS Nevada 1936-1939, so he definitely knew his way around ships. Just thought I'd share that, for whatever it's worth.

Steve

I remember my Dad telling me the only rope on a ship is the one attached to the ship's bell. Everything else was a line. As a Marine, he did three years seagoing on the USS Nevada 1936-1939, so he definitely knew his way around ships. Just thought I'd share that, for whatever it's worth.

Steve

That is technically true

Here's mine. First a cut down M1905 bayonet and scabbard. The scabbard was for the M1917 but the sailor added the leather tip from an M1910 scabbard.

MVC-013S.JPG

MVC-014S.JPG

You'll sometimes hear the term "MacNamara's Lace" to describe that square knotting work. Was used for frindge work for deck awnings and canopies for gigs and barges..