• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#126 willysmb44

willysmb44
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,617
  • 3,866 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:30 AM

I drew out a track plan in ink, then scanned and colored it last night. I think it turned out okay. The original file is the size of a letter-sized sheet of paper:
TrackplanCLR.jpg

#127 mikie

mikie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,687
  • 365 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:19 PM

I just added what the old folks would have called, "a mess o' Critters" on the layout. And this isn't all of them.
attachicon.gif squirrel.jpg
attachicon.gif groundhogs.jpg
attachicon.gif coontable.jpg
attachicon.gif coondepot.jpg
A small cow pasture is going on next, I'm painting the cows right now to match the right breed for the area at that time.
And I just finished editing an article on the layout for a model RR magazine

What RR magazine and when will it be out? Is it printed or electronic? I'd love to get a copy.
Mikie

#128 willysmb44

willysmb44
  • Members
  • 3,866 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:21 PM

I don't want to jinx myself just yet, but the announcement will come out if and when my article is accepted. I fully expect it to be, as the editor has been very receptive, but I don't want to count the chickens before they're hatched.

#129 willysmb44

willysmb44
  • Members
  • 3,866 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:50 AM

Within a 2-week period, I've found that my layout will be in TWO model train publications this year. :D
I have confirmed my layout will be in the On30 Annual for 2017! It's the "Tweetsie Inspired" layout mentioned in the pre-order form: https://shop.whiteri...m/products/on17
Also, the online Model Railroad Hobbyist magazine will be running one of my photos of the layout in an upcoming issue: http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/

#130 72psb

72psb
  • Members
    • Member ID: 68,747
  • 622 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:58 AM

Congrats Lee! Well deserved.

Bob

#131 willysmb44

willysmb44
  • Members
  • 3,866 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:37 AM

I added a Plexi piece at the edge of the turntable, to keep my locomotives from doing half-gainers to the floor. The Plexi was cut, drilled, and the mounts pre drilled and ready to go for quite a while. I just waited to mount them in place until after I took the other photos for my upcoming magazine article.
plexi.jpg
And today, I just scored this off eBay, a timetable from the RR I model in the same year. There are not many of these still around!
43table.jpg

#132 Proud Kraut

Proud Kraut

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 2,052
  • 4,699 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:15 PM

The timetable is a great addition to your project. I can only affirm 72psb's post, you did a great job. BTW, what's next? ;)

Lars

Edited by Proud Kraut, 25 January 2017 - 12:17 PM.

#133 mikie

mikie
  • Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:01 PM

And just think!  We saw it here first!  Congratulations, your layout is fantastic!

Mikie

Within a 2-week period, I've found that my layout will be in TWO model train publications this year. :D
I have confirmed my layout will be in the On30 Annual for 2017! It's the "Tweetsie Inspired" layout mentioned in the pre-order form: https://shop.whiteri...m/products/on17
Also, the online Model Railroad Hobbyist magazine will be running one of my photos of the layout in an upcoming issue: http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/

#134 willysmb44

willysmb44
  • Members
  • 3,866 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:30 PM

I scored this at a model train show on Sunday (the day after I got home from an epic Grand Canyon/Route 66/San Diego trip which included a LOT of trains, such as the BNSF 'Transcon' route through the Mojave desert, and Ward Kimball's 3-foot train collection at the Orange Empire RR museum at Perris, CA). It doesn't 'go' with the narrow gauge motif as such, but I got it for an insanely good price, so much so I couldn't believe nobody else had snatched it up. It is from a track switch, almost surely an electric one as it has none of the part for an oil-lit one. Putting a light inside would be easy, but finding a good place and method to mount the thing? That might take a while...
lantern.jpg

Congrats Lee! Well deserved.

Thank you, Bob, I figured you'd like the news. Man, I really need to give you a call sometime. The slackness with which I've let so much slide as far as you're concerned, downright baffles even me... :(

The timetable is a great addition to your project. I can only affirm 72psb's post, you did a great job. BTW, what's next? ;)

Thanks, Lars. I'm thinking of framing it, along with a 1943/dated train order from the same RR that I also got off eBay last year, and putting it on the wall, as I have a large wall space right above the layout right now.
As for what's next, well,

And just think!  We saw it here first!  Congratulations, your layout is fantastic!

Thank you very much, Mikie.

Edited by willysmb44, 25 January 2017 - 02:32 PM.

#135 ArtyScout

ArtyScout
  • Members
    • Member ID: 156,853
  • 377 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:27 PM

I scored this at a model train show on Sunday (the day after I got home from an epic Grand Canyon/Route 66/San Diego trip which included a LOT of trains, such as the BNSF 'Transcon' route through the Mojave desert, and Ward Kimball's 3-foot train collection at the Orange Empire RR museum at Perris, CA). It doesn't 'go' with the narrow gauge motif as such, but I got it for an insanely good price, so much so I couldn't believe nobody else had snatched it up. It is from a track switch, almost surely an electric one as it has none of the part for an oil-lit one. Putting a light inside would be easy, but finding a good place and method to mount the thing? That might take a while...

Hey Lee,

Nice pick up on the switch target. Usually that is associated with a manual hand-throw switch. The light is normally electric although an oil lamp was sometimes used. The green lens tell the engineer that he has a mainline route and the yellow lens signifies a diverging route. Normally where there were a few manual hand-throw switches there was also a hand switchman's shack. His job was to receive notification of trains coming his way and to properly route them, note the time they went thru and pass it on to the next switchman, tower or station/depot. Of course as more and more towers appeared the manual hand throw switches were replaced with electric or air operated switches. Just an FYI.

Again, great pick up.

Semper Fi.

Manny

#136 willysmb44

willysmb44
  • Members
  • 3,866 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:49 PM

I uploaded these videos:
https://youtu.be/tBt3DHPuD_k
https://youtu.be/eEyGruZ-fXE

#137 mikie

mikie
  • Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:51 AM

Way cool videos.  Nice to see the trains on the move.  

Mikie

#138 willysmb44

willysmb44
  • Members
  • 3,866 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:36 AM

I’m pretty ticked to find this morning that this online ‘magazine’ didn't run my photo at all. They specifically asked for a photo of the layout to use in their photo section, confirmed what size they needed, then the jerks not only didn’t use it, they didn’t even let me know. They contacted me for this, for crying out loud. Oh well, for a publication you don’t have to pay for, I guess you get your money’s worth, huh? At least the printed magazine article in the On30 Annual seems solid as they’re mentioning it in their ad copy now.

Just wasn't a good morning for me in that regard...

#139 willysmb44

willysmb44
  • Members
  • 3,866 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:39 PM

Seems I spoke out of turn. I confirmed that it'll run next month after all.

#140 willysmb44

willysmb44
  • Members
  • 3,866 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:16 AM

I couldn't sleep, so I put down some static grass mats on the layout last night. They're pre-made in Germany and look like real high grass with very easy application.
CurveGrass.jpg
Winnergrass.jpg
DeepGrass.jpg

Edited by willysmb44, 10 February 2017 - 08:17 AM.

#141 72psb

72psb
  • Members
    • Member ID: 68,747
  • 622 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:29 AM

Dang Lee,You can almost smell the Kreosote.

Bob

#142 mikie

mikie
  • Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:09 PM

Awesome!

#143 ArtyScout

ArtyScout
  • Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 02:54 PM

Your groundwork is awesome. You did a magnificent job. The grass and trees look great but I especially like the look of the track roadbeds.

Semper Fi.

Manny

#144 BROBS

BROBS
  • Members
    • Member ID: 114,538
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:01 PM

That really looks amazing Lee!
Lots of work there and it shows.

-Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#145 willysmb44

willysmb44
  • Members
  • 3,866 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:06 PM

Online magazine Model RR Hobbyist just ran a photo from my layout it it's current issue, which can be seen here: http://mrhpub.com/20...html5/?page=164

#146 willysmb44

willysmb44
  • Members
  • 3,866 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:14 PM

I finished the Studebaker US6 2.5 ton truck today. This is a very hard to find 1/43 scale diecast by Atlas (its the only one I've ever found for sale by a US vendor) and came out of the box as a British-marked one. I had to disassemble it, repaint and put new decals to make it look like a US mid-war stateside truck.
Studebaker.jpg
Maybe someday, the same company will make the more common GMC one in 1/43.

#147 mikie

mikie
  • Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:24 AM

Online magazine Model RR Hobbyist just ran a photo from my layout it it's current issue, which can be seen here: http://mrhpub.com/20...html5/?page=164

Congrats on the well deserved recognition.

#148 ArtyScout

ArtyScout
  • Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:38 AM

Wow, good work on that truck.

Semper Fi.

Manny

#149 sundance

sundance
  • Members
    • Member ID: 67,879
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:42 PM

It's always enjoyable to check in from time to time and catch up with what you've done. I'd still like to live there - there must be a Twilight Zone episode out there somewhere along that line.

#150 willysmb44

willysmb44
  • Members
  • 3,866 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:33 PM

Thanks, guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)