Civil War Presentation Sword and Sash

kanemono

Here is a presentation sword to Charles Wesley Eckman who was born at Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, on June 27, 1837. He grew up in Danville, Pennsylvania, and worked as a boatman on the Pennsylvania Canal. Eckman enlisted at Danville as a private in Company H, 93rd Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment on September 15, 1861. He was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant on September 25, 1861. Eckman served at the Siege of Yorktown, Battle of Williamsburg, Fair Oaks, Malvern Hill, Chantilly, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Marye's Heights, Salem Heights, Gettysburg, Rappahannock Station, Mine Run, The Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court House, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Charlestown, Bunker Hill, Opequan, Flint Hill, Fisher's Hill, Cedar Creek, Fort Fisher, Winchester, Petersburg, Sailor's Creek and Appomattox Court House. He was wounded three times in the battle of the Wilderness. At the battle of Cedar Creek “he had two horses shot under him in less than twenty minutes and was wounded in the side by a bombshell that tore the head off his horse and the pommel off his saddle.” Eckman mustered out as Colonel of the 93rd Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment at Washington D.C. on June 27, 1865. After the war he returned to Danville, Pennsylvania, where he became a manager of the Danville Bessemer Steel Company. Charles Wesley Eckman died at Danville, Pennsylvania on May 3, 1906. He is buried at the Odd Fellows Cemetery in Danville. The sword was presented to him by “Company H, 93rd Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers,” when he was promoted to Captain on October 21, 1862.

Dick

post-9487-0-79219300-1462200523.jpg

post-9487-0-30678600-1462200530.jpg

post-9487-0-84104200-1462200536.jpg

post-9487-0-48587100-1462200545.jpg

WOW! That is one fantastic sword! The sash is equally exciting to see. What is even more impressive is that the former owner was in so many major engagements. That is one impressive war record.

Thanks for posting this.

Allan

manayunkman

Great history Dick.

Your posts are always impressive and educational.

That is one beautiful sword. Is there a maker's name on it? What is the overall length? It looks a bit short but that may just be a matter of perspective. Also, what is that very nice looking box and what is written on the plaque? OK I'm a bit nosey.

WOW! That is one fantastic sword! The sash is equally exciting to see. What is even more impressive is that the former owner was in so many major engagements. That is one impressive war record.

Thanks for posting this.

Allan

I agree.Fantastic sword and history as well.I amazed at all the campaigns he was in and to have survived

M24 Chaffee

Another amazing Civil War piece that you have. You may have to put together a book to publish! Great history.

Frank

Thank you all for the comments. The sword is an import marked Horstmann Philadelphia. The blade is 32" long and in poor shape, not worth photographing. The sword must have sat in a damp place in the leather scabbard, it's not pitted but has a dark brown patina. There is more information here

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/265346-col-charles-w-eckman-presentation-sword-and-travel-desk/

Eckman died from his wounds in 1906. He saw an amazing amount of action during the Civil War.

I'd say it's still a beauty, dark blade or not. I prefer the "been there done that" look myself. Is the blade etched? The leather scabbard looks to be in decent shape. The guard looks interesting also - not the standard foot officer or staff officer guard. Sounds like he did well to make it to age 69.