Very early CISO made early classic pattern Tiger Stripe boonie

Zirni

Hi,

Here's a mint CISO factory made Tiger Stripe boonie in a early classic pattern i own. Not seen every day and i have never seen another one before. It has it s typical "CISO made" construction, black lining and size tag except the lack of vent holes. Maybe because it s one of the very early/ first run ones??? maybe forgotten??? Many reasons could be possible.

Best

Zirni

post-157610-0-88535800-1462134045.jpg

vintageproductions

I will be the first to admit that I don't know everything there is to know about Ciso made items, but what makes this a Ciso issued boonie as opposed to a standard Okinawa tailor shop made boonie hat?

I like the small white tag with red M.

If it is a repro I think it is the best repro I have ever seen.

If it is a real one does anyone else have a similar one?

If stitch loops on the brim are less dense it will look more comfortable.

vintageproductions

Every Okinawa made tiger stripe boonie hats has these same woven tags.

kammo-man

This is an odd boonie.

It looks like a modern made piece to me.

But it looks good also.

The lack of grommets is odd.

Its NOT CISO.

I would rather see a shirt cut up and made into a hat in this pattern.

Mike Force
Odd, unusual and never seen before but it definitely looks Japanese made to me.

I like your boonie very much Zirni

@ Owen, Bob, Wei and Mike: Thanks for all the statements. I really appreciate the discussion on it.

Let s say it s a Japanese made piece. Weather it s CISO made or not would not be proven that easily. I think it gives the intention to be a piece that was made in a more process-standardized environment (like a factory is). Something with a specification in its background. But maybe i m wrong???

It s odd for sure but i m not sure that the lack of grommets alone are a K.O. criteria. Uncommon---YES and probably not seen very often.

Beau-Brummel

Ok, I'll go out on a limb here; POSSIBLY; Tokyo Phantom or Read or Dead?

I have a near Identical piece that I bought ten odd years ago, the only difference Is that mine has grommets. Bob and I puzzled over It many years ago and could only conclude It was a mid to late 80's product of one of the high end Japanese manufacturers. I've only ever seen one other and the thing that Is Immediately noticeable on them all is the tightly stitched brim. Problem Is I cut the brim down five or six years ago and have been wearing It at shows since so It's faded to buggery. I can take some pictures when I'm back In the UK If you would like to compare.

Yours, Guy.

Beau-Brummel

DAMN, RUMBLED :-)

Slipped the guards a mickey and buggered off to Calais on a whim this pm, just had dinner and Calvados and hoping to be back tomorrow lunchtime before they realise I'm out!

Ok, I'll go out on a limb here; POSSIBLY; Tokyo Phantom or Read or Dead?

I have a near Identical piece that I bought ten odd years ago, the only difference Is that mine has grommets. Bob and I puzzled over It many years ago and could only conclude It was a mid to late 80's product of one of the high end Japanese manufacturers. I've only ever seen one other and the thing that Is Immediately noticeable on them all is the tightly stitched brim. Problem Is I cut the brim down five or six years ago and have been wearing It at shows since so It's faded to buggery. I can take some pictures when I'm back In the UK If you would like to compare.

Yours, Guy.

Hey Guy,

Thanks for your input.

Yeah of caurse, pics would be good for reference and comparison.

Best

Zirni

Beau-Brummel

Hi Zirni,

I'll try to take some tomorrow.

These hats are very nicely made and do ape the Okinawa contract pieces quite closely, but there are differences.

The lining material Is more loosely woven and does not have the same rayon or silk content that makes the original linings almost 'shiney'. Ditto the TS fabric which is a heavier napped, coarser twill (more like some Viet cloth) than the Japanese production. No ones really sure who made them but they are very rare In their own right and definitely the best reproduction (IMO reproduction, some swear they are real) to date.

Yours, Guy.