Early and Pre-WWII Marines

ViewfinderGyrene

ViewfinderGyrene

Morning all,

I was wondering if anyone had leads of prewar China Marines who may still be alive [4th Regiment at Shanghai], Wake POW survivors, or Midway 6th Defense Battalion men? I've had the honor of speaking with many, but none from these particular locations, especially China Marines, as my uncle was a Lt. in the 4th right up to their evacuation.

Anyone who would care to PM me it would be much appreciated, or just reply to the post.

Many thanks,

VFG

Hello,

I have some names of China Marines, Wake POW and 6th Def Bn.

But none of them are still alive unfortunately.

Regards.

ViewfinderGyrene

Thanks JB, yes I'm sure it's a longshot, but figured there are so many people on here I might turn up someone.

Yes, that could be interesting.

Have you tried to look at the Veteran History Project database ? There are some interviews of WW2 USMC veterans.

ViewfinderGyrene

Yes I've actually found that a few fellows associated with my collection did that project lol, great database. I took part in that project locally...

ViewfinderGyrene

I have had success, blown away that I have found an original survivor of 4th Marines who then spent 3 years as a POW of the Japanese. Maybe there will be others in the future, who knows. Ecstatic indeed, thought genuinely that I had begun the search too late!

VFG

ViewfinderGyrene

Congrats!!

Thanks so much!

After looking through 50+ more pages of Google News I honestly believe he may be the last one. There's one other possibility that I haven't confirmed yet, the fellow wrote a book so that shouldn't be difficult to confirm.

There's more than one out there...they're just not plastered all over the Internet. A lot of older generations still manage to not have a digital fingerprint.

ViewfinderGyrene

Well said Brig. I'm going to reach out to a few organizations and see what I can find. Turned up another also in the West/Midwest. Would be a helluva thing if I found one I could feasibly visit...

This is excellent news! A word of advice, of those that can still communicate well....expect them to "recite" a well practiced life story....most have been interviewed before at some level. Find a way to bring out additional details they may not have shared with others by moving them past "I did this or that". One Marine reveled details of his pre-war social life that he had not shared with anyone....much to the discomfort of his daughter. I always asked them about pre-war slang, training or the trip over. Impressions of the local people, favored drinks even about uniforms, equipage or views of senior officers they interacted with. On the POW issues I always treaded lightly and let them go as far as they wanted or not. You have a great opportunity here I look forward to hearing what you find!

ViewfinderGyrene

This is excellent news! A word of advice, of those that can still communicate well....expect them to "recite" well practiced life story....most have been interviewed before at some level. Find a way to bring out additional details they may not have shared with others by moving them past "I did this or that". One Marine reveled details of his pre-war social life that he had not shared with anyone....much to the discomfort of his daughter. I always asked them about pre-war slang, training or the trip over. Impressions of the local people, favored drinks even about uniforms, equipage or views of senior officers they interacted with. On the POW issues I always treaded lightly and let them go as far as they wanted or not. You have a great opportunity here I look forward to hearing what you find!

Points very well taken sir, yes I'd definitely leave the prison experiences open to whatever they wish. I will keep you posted. I've found a lot of times that the most amusing OR the most shocking things come out when just talking casually, and not talking like some of the idiotic questions I've heard from some interviewers who don't know how to communicate effectively. There are some things you just don't say and ways you should never pose a question , I'm sure you know what I mean.

VFG

Points very well taken sir, yes I'd definitely leave the prison experiences open to whatever they wish. I will keep you posted. I've found a lot of times that the most amusing OR the most shocking things come out when just talking casually, and not talking like some of the idiotic questions I've heard from some interviewers who don't know how to communicate effectively. There are some things you just don't say and ways you should never pose a question , I'm sure you know what I mean.

VFG

That's because the most cherished and happy memories of a veteran aren't of combat, but of the comradery and barracks shenanigans

ViewfinderGyrene

Indeed...those other things also come out as well. Had a longtime friend tell me he ended up as a Machine Gun replacement at Edson's Ridge while our Veteran's Day was forming up. Just sitting there and he says "Oh I didn't stay in the Pack Howitzers very long, they pulled me out and put me in a MG crew up on "the ridge" when the howitzers were still dug in near the airfield"...still shocked, a memory I'll have for a long time.

That's the way to do it...let it come out naturally. Often times, combat vets are more likely to avoid discussing the details of combat, unless they're talking to a fellow combat vet. Let the vet decide what he wishes to share. They've been asked how many people they've killed more times than they can count

ViewfinderGyrene

They've been asked how many people they've killed more times than they can count

Pure lunacy, outright ignorance...