Operation Tidal Wave Gunners Uniform "G.I. Jenny"

kcmo

All,

I picked this up locally awhile ago and wanted to share his WWII service. Harold Meyer grew up and lived out his life in the Flint Hills of Kansas in Leonardville and Manhattan, KS. During WWII, he flew as a gunner in the 376BG completing 29 logged missions. Of course the most noted was the attack on 1 AUG 1943 to Ploesti with MAJ Appold in GI Jenny as the tail gunner. MAJ Appold would be awarded the DSC. Also of note that this aircraft had a RAF NCO as the top turret gunner. His uniform and hat were purchased at his estate auction by me. Both are marked with his battle roster number and the name of another who must have owned the uniform at some time. The family provided me copies of all the documents following the sale which include this document for his DFC from Ploesti and log book. In the background is a print by Bryan Moon of the Ploesti misson I got in 1993 ironically signed by MAJ Appold and a piece of one of the lost B24s from the mission. Of note is his log book which had some details about his missions from January 1943 to September 1943 including Ploesti. The family retained his medals and other items. He passed away in 1995 and is buried in Leonardville, KS

post-114166-0-93738300-1462051098.jpg

post-114166-0-83927800-1462051099.jpg

post-114166-0-57691100-1462051100.jpg

Of course I would have never know any of his history without talking with the family.

• 4 years later...