Tokyo Bay Surrender Souvenir

Rod266

Need help in identifying this bronze star.

I received this 4" bronze star (with a threaded mounting bolt on the back) with the etched inscription on the front: "Tokyo Bay 1945" and small script etched on the reverse, the name of the man who had it, "H. S. Herrick" and the additional inscription: "H.I.M.J.S. Asashio"

Unfortunately the owner, a former Career Naval Officer named CAPT Harvey Scott Herrick, USN/Ret, has passed away. His son said he was a LT on the destroyer USS Stevenson DD-645 that was part of Halsey's Carrier force off Japan at the end of the war, and he took it from the ship when it was decommissioned in 1946.

The Japanese ship Asashio, a destroyer, was sunk in 1943 by aircraft, so I have no idea why it's name is on the reverse. I assume that HIMJS refers to "His Imperial Majesty's Japanese Ship" but I could be wrong.

My guess is that it may be a bronze star off the ship's ribbon rack, or may have been testimony to the ships presents at the surrender in 1945, so it may have been mounted elsewhere on the ship, the bridge or wardroom or who knows......

Any knowledge or ideas are welcome as I am only guessing.

post-154142-0-02194400-1461967118.jpg

post-154142-0-82965100-1461967129.jpg

post-154142-0-43604600-1461967141.jpg