Named WWII 85th Mountain Infantry, 10th Mountain Division Group

Kadet

I feel honored to be the caretaker of these items, having recently acquired them from the vet's son. His Dad served in Company I 85th Mountain Infantry, 10th Mountain Division and recently passed away in his 90s. The group consists of his Ike, mountain jacket and anorak. The uniforms are in pristine condition, and the mountain jacket includes the suspenders and rare original belt. I also got a very nice group of his German bring backs, which can't be posted here unfortunately. The family was gracious enough to share pictures with me. He is wearing a German belt buckle, which is included in the group. One of his Dad's Company-mates wrote a very good little memoir after the war. He is mentioned in several places.

post-110-0-88261800-1461787293.jpg

Nice looking group...you can with the soldiers background information. ..post the German items in the Spoils of War section.

Thanks Robert, I will. They are interesting pieces. The vet was actually German by birth. His family moved to the US after WWI. The vet's Father served in the German Army in WWI, and some of the items are his...

Unfortunately, no. It was actually an OT cap I believe. I made a deal for all of the other German items before he listed them, and the lot include an OT tab and some other German mountain-related items, among other things...

I always enjoy buying stuff from families. I had quite a conversation going with the son, and it was very interesting. His Dad was quite a guy. The small memoir is entitled "War Journal of an Innocent Soldier" by John T Bassett. In fact, I think he told me Bassett is the other guy in the picture I posted. It is a short, but powerfully written book and I recommend it. I found it on Amazon pretty cheap....

• 2 months later...

If you would like information about this soldier's record, contact me off-line and I can see what is in our database in him. We have records on almost 33,000 guys assigned to 10th Mountain from December 1941 through November 1945.

Thank you for the offer, but think I have it covered in this case. It turns out that his complete service record survived the fire at NARA. Nice to know that his actual record matches the jacket exactly, including the post war service in the 2nd ID and the award of both the CIB and EIB. Kelli Schmidt also provided her info from the Denver Public Library

Thanks! Not sure on the anorak. This is the way it came from the family, but it may have been period shortened...or just one of the many variants of this garment.

Here is a picture of a 10th Mountain Trooper wearing a similar short anorak, with the white side turned out.

post-110-0-84385000-1468670197.jpg

I've also been able to get several more groups from the son. More German stuff, and some 10th Mountain. I provided the family with copies of all my research on their Father, which they appreciated.

The multi-colored unofficial inter-allied ribbon is interesting. This is the third 10th Mountain uniform I've encountered with it

post-110-0-63033600-1468677243.jpg

These are some of the other items from the son. The vet was active in the association. Although modern, the bullion patches are really nice. The original items are WWII cut edge patches and one of the small Italian made DUIs. The more worn patch was originally on the mountain jacket...

post-110-0-90664300-1468678648.jpg

Jumpin Jack

There is no better way than to acquire the effects either directly from the Vet himself or his family. What a fine grouping of items! The Mountain jacket is a very difficult piece to find, and in such great condition. The fact that he earned both the CIB and EIB speaks a great deal about the man. You are most fortunate. Jack

Thanks guys! Its a keeper. He was an interesting fellow. Born in Germany, he was a naturalized citizen. He spoke fluent German, which his unit put to good use during the war. After the war he joined the CIA, completing a full career with them. The German items in the group consist of WWII items he brought back, and his Father's items from service in the German Army during WWI.

carbinephalen

Very cool! There was another great 10th MTN group on eBay recently. A very cool division that did some awesome things in the MTO!

Yes, I remember the second group as well. Here are two excerpts from his service record that match the Ike. They show his EIB and CIB awards (both awarded while in the 10th), and his later service in the 38th Infantry Regiment.

post-110-0-57626700-1468682322.jpg