Dating a Randall Knife

Mr.Jerry

I just picked this one up tonight at my shop. It s a "6". I tried looking on line but the various knife boards seems to contradict each other and I really don't know who knows what there. But I know you guys here know your stuff! So what say ye?

There is actually a name inked on the scabbard I was going to try and search him out too and see if that might tell me anything. Thanks for your assitance!

Jerry

IMG_2750.JPG

IMG_2751.JPG

IMG_2752.JPG

Thinking its a Model #3 -6 inch and most likely made in the mid to late 50s. Not sure if its on line but there is a book on these and some date them by the use of the colored spacers and arrangement.Heiser made scabbards for Randall for many years.The 6 on the back typically denotes blade length for the knife.Typically these have a brown button embossed with the Heiser name for a grip snap.

Thanks guys, the snap is unmarked smooth silver. I will post some pommel pics tomorrow, but it has a brass nut peened on it.

I'm also gonna agree with Ron. I think this is a mid fifties Randall. I'm trying to come up with a more definitive answer.

Ronnie

I got this from my friend who wrote the book attached

"As to the knife, IMO, it's late 1945 to late 1947. Early Hunter, pre-hump/pre-Model #4 (some people call these a Model 3-1/2), left-handed sheath, domed metal snap, domed rivets, full-length blade flats, brass nut w/brass washer, and cigar handle shape. Tell your friends.
Best wishes,
Shel"

post-12145-0-30376100-1461804539.jpg

Got new info and 45 govt is close. It is a 1944 or first half of 1945 made Randall. Actually a fairly rare Randall as production at that time was focused on fighting knives.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie

Pictures of mine and it appears the same vintage.The scabbard is a Heiser 1-7(Model 1 -7 inch) and mated to it later in life.

post-342-0-22823500-1461904641.jpg

post-342-0-07481500-1461904657.jpg

post-342-0-46087600-1461904675.jpg

Ron I'm just passing on the info I obtained from the "pro's." Probably the most prolific Mod.3 Randall collector describes this knife as a 44 or 1st half of 45 made knife. He gives a number of reasons which are too many for me to copy and add here. But one reason is that the throat of Heiser WWII sheaths was thin during the war but after the war they went to the wide throat. You can read his comments on the Knife Network Forums.

Ronnie

Thank you guys so much! ( and thank your Friend Sheldon from me!) i will see if I can find the book for future reference.

At least now I don't feel bad for being confused, these are quite complex little buggers!