Navy M1 with Orange Stripe

URIK

stealthytyler

Unfortunately not a beach battalion helmet due to the color. Most likely used on ship (hence the gray ship paint). Not sure what the color orange represents though. Cool helmet!

• 1 month later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Well I guess we can rule out racing stripe. Where did you find yours?

"Here is my fathers."

• 2 months later...

I happened to show this helmet a friend of mine who was in the Navy during Vietnam and served on the USS Midway. He identified the orange stripe as belonging to a gunners station.

stealthytyler

I happened to show this helmet a friend of mine who was in the Navy during Vietnam and served on the USS Midway. He identified the orange stripe as belonging to a gunners station.

I have seen 3 or 4 of these pop up lately.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Burning Hazard

Question for our Navy Vets, I've been going through Navy Vietnam era footage and I noticed that some of deck crew are not wearing M1 helmets but plastic-type hard hats in various colors. Was it only designated crew members that wore hard hats?

I don't know very much about the Navy, been trying to find footage of these orange stripes in wear.

Pat

Salvage Sailor

Steel helmets are heavy, hot and a pain in the butt to keep on your noggin when working on deck. We primarily wore helmets only at General Quarters, damage control (fire, flooding, etc) or for training operations (REFTRA, etc)

Preble Taking Up Slack detail 02.jpg

IMG_0001_2.jpg

IMG_0002_1.jpg

Burning Hazard

Anyone interested in the footage it's on youtube:

Warning, there are some graphic parts in this footage so viewer discretion is advised.

Sometimes, an orange stripe is just an orange stripe. It is not the same color as the gas detection stripe. It may have had something to do with gunnery stations on the Midway during the time your friend was there, but not standard. Navy helmets get all sorts of locally applied markings throughout their life in the Navy. They may spent 30+ years going from one ship to another, repainted every year or so. I was on an Amphibious ship with boat debarkation stations. The Bosun had the helmets painted the same color as the station they (helmets) were assigned to. Crane operators were brown. Hatch crew leaders were orange so everyone knew where they were in the crowd. I was on other Amphibious ships, that did not do that, simply stenciled debarked station number on the front. Navy stuff is all locally made up and applied.

And all this trying to I'd them with heat stamps and such is great, just tells you when they were made. The first helmet I was ever handed out of a rack on my first ship was a fixed bail. It had a huge thick edge liner (Hawley?). This was 1973.

So, sometimes, on Navy helmets, an orange stripe is just a stripe. It meant something when it was put on, but, was painted over, so the helmet was no longer used for that purpose, the significance of the orange stripe went away, or the ship was decommissioned and the helmet went back into the system for reissue to another ship.

And liners. We constantly switched out liners. Suspension system rotted and torn, find another liner with a good suspension system, toss the old one over the side. Chin strap buckle breaks? Cut the straps off and replace with the VN or 1980s clip one, whatever you have.