US Navy white, 'Anti-Flash' Z-3 G-Suit

BlueBookGuy

BlueBookGuy

Hello all,

just got this attractive piece reminiscent of the early-to-mid Cold War period, many collectors sure know of those US Navy flight gear virtually comprising the whole pilot's 'stuff' finished in white - from helmet (100% sure of course) to flight boots (a very good chance they so were), so far being known as attack pilots' equipments for tactical nuke strike.

Paradoxally among all that white, some ... much darker areas :unsure: of knowledge still are present IMO, simply 'cause too many details are unknown or uncertain at least:

* how many complete 'kits' had been made,

* on what basis were they issued to A-4 squadrons, and if only to A-4 squadrons (or, to A-7 or Vigilante units as well),

* what the exact timeframe of their use,

* whether those really were definitely tested items, or still under development for future fabrics types.

Here this David Clark-made G-pants (mfg. July 1962) are basically the well-known Z-3 cutaway pattern - virtually existing as early as 1945 if I'm correct, and the standard US Navy G-pants of early years in Vietnam.

The last of the four above question comes from what the label here reads (Experimental Fabric, HT-1) that is more or less a prototype form of the later and worldwide famous, anti-flammable Nomex. This, coupled to what years ago a well-respected collector I met at an Italian Militaria event said to me (many efforts from the Du Pont Company in very early '60s to not have HT-1's properties spoiled by certain dyes) leads me in guessing: the two things MAYBE just overlapped?

This is: need of an all-white, flash reflecting flight gear + a 'special' white dye as an interim color while waiting for future and less harmful colors? Perhaps just a my guessing.

Anyway a great-looking piece indeed, here moreover in virtually new shape. S/N 319 out of a unknown number made. Could be interesting to know the exact quantity, as well as of each of other pieces needed to send into mission an all-white Skyhawk pilot.

post-151851-0-36688500-1461096394.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Some interesting infos on the label.

post-151851-0-28826800-1461097289.jpg

Standard hose connector by 'AIR LOCK, Inc., CT' like in so many CSU-13/P and CSU-15/P up to recent or current time.

post-151851-0-50377200-1461097306.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Fabric is something absolutely silk-like, much more than I could have felt in touching any other synthetic materials being used in making such items.

Maybe the 'experimental' the label refers to, could apply to this matter too?

post-151851-0-50503000-1461098019.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Thanks for watching - hope you enjoyed. Should any other collectors have more infos about these very items (or associated ones) I'm always interested in knowing more.

Thanks!!

post-151851-0-24535200-1461098304.jpg

northcoastaero

Very nice example of a very hard to find item! I had an all white MA-2 harness and an APH-6. anti-flash helmet years ago.

From reading in a 1970-71 manual, the white flight gear was done away with except for just white long underwear, white gloves, and a white scarf to be worn

underneath the flight suit. The gold flight helmet visors were still being used. I have seen and heard of the following

anti-flash white flight gear items:

-APH-5 helmet?

-APH-6 helmet.

-APH-6A helmet?

-DH-101A helmet.

-Dual visor assy's. One piece rams horn and 3-piece rams horn for APH-6 series helmets. One gold lens with the other being

clear or tinted.

-MS-22001 mask with silver/white MC-3A connector.

-Possible white REDAR hoses?

-Silver colored mini-regulators. Robertshaw Type 1 and the small flat Firewel one. Possibly others?

-White flight suit.

-White gloves. B-3A?

-White flight boots or natural leather color?

-MA-2 torso parachute harness with adjustable Rocket Jet fittings on top and Rocket Jet D rings for lower lap belt. Full body

material.

-MK-2 life preserver. White and/or silver.

-MK-3C life preserver.

-NB-6 and/or NB-8 Navy Back parachute with harness.

With seeing the Navy Back parachute, MK-2 life preserver, and Robertshaw Type 1 mini-regulator in anti-flash colors, leads me

to believe other aircraft than the A4D/A-4 Skyhawk were using this gear. The Robertshaw Type 1 was used in the F-4 and A3J/

A-5 Vigilante early on, then used with other aircraft. The NB-6/NB-8 could have been used by an extra passenger in the A3D/

A-3 Skywarrior. The later white long underwear, scarf, gloves, and gold visors set-up could have been worn in any aircraft that could

deliver nuclear weapons such as the A-6 Intruder, etc.

BlueBookGuy

Thanks very much for this impressive list!! Kind od frightening ah ah... would be interesting getting one or more pics of a pilot wearing such a load of stuff.

Personally I'd be keen on learning more about the experimental HT-1 in this very early period (1961-62) just to get sure whether a coincidence, or indeed the white dye had to do anything with the very much probable issues being experienced back then by Du Pont.

Brian Keith

Very Interesting topic, I had not heard of this type of gear before. Thanks for posting it and discussing it. I learn stuff all the time here!

BKW

• 2 years later...
Bagdad Aero Club

Please let me know if you ever decide to sell this Anti-G-Suit. I have the matching flight suit, MA-2 parachute harness, APH-6 flight helmet with gold visor, and a partial (white) MS-22001 oxygen mask. Jeff