D-Day Helmet Grouping - Foxy 29 Corpsman

stealthytyler

stealthytyler

(Moderators, I placed this group in the helmet section due to anticipating a great interest mainly over the helmet. Thanks.)

In February 1944, Paul A. Kurtz was assigned to LST-286 in Lido Beach, NY. He underwent top secret training with a new unit codenamed FOXY 29. The name of this unit stands for the month in which it was enacted; February 29, 1944. The purpose of this top secret unit was to provide medical evacuation of wounded personnel during the invasion of D-Day. Each LST team consisted of 1-2 doctors and 20-40 corpsman. After a a few months of specialized training, Paul Kurtz and his team was reassigned to LST-400. They traveled to England in preparation for the invasion and survived the tragedy of Exercise Tiger. Due to security reasons, the unit kept tight lips regarding their unit and most were not even allowed off the LSTs until after the invasion.

On June 6, 1944, LST-400 landed on Utah Beach to evacuate wounded Americans and wounded German POWs. It is unclear as to how LST-400 picked up the wounded. Some accounts from other LST ships mention the corpsman traveling to the beach in LCVPs to pickup the wounded and returning to offload onto the LST. They traveled back to England to drop the men off for further treatment. They made a number of trips across the channel dodging German U-Boats to supply and evacuate wounded on various beaches from Utah and Omaha.

The helmet is in amazing condition. It is pretty much MINT. The suspension and chinstraps are crisp. The leather chinstrap is in great condition too. The haversack is also in mint condition. I have never seen a better example. The seabag and leggings are well used however. I purchased this grouping from a woman that got it an estate sale recently. I wonder if there is more of his stuff out there?

Please feel free to share your thoughts! I would appreciate any additional information regarding LST-400 since I am still in research mode. I would also like to find a photo of Paul Kurtz. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks!

post-131595-0-99094100-1460308269.jpg