H&H Officers Cap EGA Retaining Nut

Wedgehead30

Wedgehead30

The handsome fella is on an Officer's blue dress cap that I have, which can be seen here.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/264560-usmc-blue-black-dress-visor-hats/

As you can see the original retaining nut or "roller" has been replaced. I have looked through the reference section and other threads but I can't seem to find what the correct retainer would be. Can someone show me an example of what the proper retainer would be? And would there also be a flat washer with the nut?

Also would it be safe to say that this is a 1942 or earlier EGA as it doesn't have the Imperial marking as well as the H&H?

Thanks for any help,

Scott

post-124172-0-14447000-1460128331.jpgpost-124172-0-38424000-1460128396.jpg

My officers has a flat round brass roller similiar to the ones seen on the WW1 era collar discs.

Both are pattern 37 EGAs and one by meyer the other H&H

normaninvasion

To add to the above. I have encountered many different types of rollers/retaining nuts on EGAs. Collar rollers on cover emblems, later models on early examples, and original to emblem. To be honest,when I was collecting, it didn't make much of a difference as I was more interested in the emblem.

Flower rollers generally only show up on enlisted EGA's, but really rollers are so inchangeable that it is pretty much imposssible to say if one is original to a piece: the larger EGA's came with a larger brass roller than the collar pieces, but they all threaded the same.

I also do not place much importance on the nuts for emblems, unless the particular emblems are mint, unused sets, wherein I would expect them to have their originals.

In use, the nuts were often lost etc., and they used whatever nut was available and worked.

CB

Rollers really add little to the value...unless they're earlier (Pre-WWII) emblems that had a more unique roller (WWI era, some Depression era). As long as there's some type of period roller, collectors are usually happy. And if not, it doesn't detract from the value, as they are fairly easy and cheap to acquire. There's a seller on eBay that routinely sells them in small lots