What a Monster!

Proud Kraut

disneydave

LOVE the masking technique...learned something new. Thanks for that and I look forward to seeing the finished diorama.

Proud Kraut

LOVE the masking technique...learned something new. Thanks for that and I look forward to seeing the finished diorama.

Thank you, Dave! I still have to work on the masking but the results are getting better bit by bit. I think I have learned BluTack here from some of our airplane modelers.

Nice job on the camo technique. I'm looking forward to seeing that SturmTiger in all its glory.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Proud Kraut

Thanks Manny! After I have removed the masking I noticed that I messed up the right side of the ST. LOTS more work to do on the camo pattern.

st1.jpg

st2.jpg

st3.jpg

st4.jpg

Proud Kraut

Today I took time for smoothing my mistake out and completing the base painting of the Hinterhalt camo and the tracks.

hh1.jpg

hh2.jpg

hh3.jpg

hh4.jpg

I so much enjoy watching your projects. I used to build armor kits in my youth bit hobbie has changed a lot since then. I really enjoy your frequent updates on progress and this has to be one of the best parts of the forum.

Great job

Backtheattack

Here is a pic from the Sturmtiger at Ebendorf where you can see the camo painting you used on the model:

post-104851-0-26541900-1464545109.jpg

Proud Kraut

@Navybean: Thank you so much for your kind words, I appreciate it!

@Backtheattack: Thanks for your feedback and for the additional picture, I haven't seen this one before, great!

superchief

Two hours of prep work and 10 minutes to apply the paint! Sweet job, very nice work. I've never used Blue Tac before for masking camo but I've used modeling clay, very similar.

Proud Kraut

Two hours of prep work and 10 minutes to apply the paint! Sweet job, very nice work. I've never used Blue Tac before for masking camo but I've used modeling clay, very similar.

Yes, much more time spent for preparation than for airbrushing the kit.

Proud Kraut

Hard to see on the pictures. Next steps: filter, washes, staining with CITADEL washes and watercolors. Seems that some of these ST had NO markings, I'm still unsure about this???

fw1.jpg

fw2.jpg

fw3.jpg

fw4.jpg

Next step: tracks. After having painted the tracks with black color they received a washing with thinned orange and brown acrylics

fw5.jpg

Proud Kraut

Did you paint the tracks while still on the vehicle?

Yep, I know that's the second best way. I bought this kit partially buildet; the wheels were already glued on the chassis. Of course the best way would be assembling the track parts on the not glued wheels, then removing wheels and tracks from the chassis and painting wheels & tracks separately.

Garandomatic

Gotcha. Maybe i forgot that from when the thread started. I thought if you did it That way, I'd try it, but i understand now.

Proud Kraut

I airbrushed the tracks with acrylic matt varnish. After the varnish has dried I brushed the tracks with aluminium color ti give them a metallic look. I painted some small parts like tools etc. finally. Apart from the winch I'm done with the ST so far. Next step will be the assembling of the U.S. soldiers examining the ST.

tr20.jpg

tr21.jpg

tr22.jpg

tr23.jpg

tr20.jpg

tr21.jpg

tr22.jpg

tr23.jpg

The Meatcan

It's looking like a very fearsome beast, Lars!

Question about the zimmerit; was it molded into the plastic, was it after market PE, or did you make it yourself?

Terry

Old Marine

Lars this is fantastic! I really liked seeing how you masked and painted the camo pattern, that is a great technique. Thank you for sharing your skill.

Well done, I look forward to seeing the soldiers.

Proud Kraut

Joe, Terry and Danny, thank you! The Zimmerit is molded into the plastic.

You apply the matt varnish after you apply the chalk pigments, correct?

That's correct

Hey Lars; as monsters go, this is one fine looking monster. Great camo and weathering. You did a magnificent job on those tracks too. I like it very much.

Semper Fi.

Manny